Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my poor baby took a spill. Well at least the alternator. While it is in the shop I asked my mechanic to take the car for a test drive and see if he believes that BOV should be replaced. I will find out tomorrow what his thoughts are, what high preformance BOV shold I replace it with? I was told not to replace it with a bosch.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I believe a BOV is the same as a Dump Valve.

You can get a BOV from Abbott Racing - do Elkparts do them /John? I'm sure both of these deliver worldwide.

The Abbott Racing ones are GBP120 - this is the text from the site:

All our Motorsport dump valves are made from billet aluminium and operate with a 10mm larger diameter port than the standard item. This increased area produces both improved throttle response and higher clamping load to maintain boost pressure more reliably.

Our dump valves are all piston operated and suffer none of the failures associated with diaphragm type dump valves.

The Recirculating type dump valves pass the spent air from the turbo-charger back into the intake system with only a small noise as the air rushes through. These are the most effective valves for use on cars with the Bosch LH management system. For cars where less clearance is available around the valve, a smaller body re-circulating valve is available.

Atmospheric dump valves are available for those looking for the "Whoosh" noise, most commonly seen in International rallying. Our atmosphere valves use twin counter-balanced springs and dual pistons to ensure that no air leaks into the inlet system at idle, and so requires no adjustment or fine-tuning of spring rates to suit the valve to the car.

The net result of fitting any of the above valves is sharper throttle response and a few horsepower gain, dependant on the condition of your existing plastic dump valve. Dump valves are usually fitted in conjunction with an engine management upgrade, to cope with the increased boost pressures.[/b]
Personally, I'd get one with the "whooshing" noise as I'm a big kid Not too expensive a performance buy either.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I have a Bailey twin piston type that dumps to atmosphere hence the whoose noise - great fun to make pedestrians jump
These types of atmos dump valves are needed for air-flow sensor cars (pre Trionic) howver I still had stalling problems with my Carlsson so removed it. However no problems at all with MAP controlled Trionic systems
Motorsports Developments in Blackpool sell them much cheaper than Abbott. Same place also does turbo rebuild kits for £70

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you have a Bosch unit on your 9000, it's probably a bypassvalve that reroutes the excess air back to the turbo. Some Bosch BPV's fail because of a torn diaphragm and can't hold boost.
Forge makes some very good dual piston replacement valves. The ones Abbott sells are the same, only prices differ.
If you decide to buy an atmospheric dump valve, you'll need an additional plug for the air inlet the BPV used to dump boost to.
On cars with Trionic, an atmospheric dumpvalve will only work on a T5 (air is measured after throttlebody). On a T7 car you can't have the 'whoosh' sound because of the air mass meter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Please excuse me if I come off like a [expletive deleted],but this is how I feel.

I haven't been around because I dont appreciate it when I worked very hard on my "saab links" thread,only to have it locked and forgotten.I didnt search the web,organize,and post those links for my health. That and most of the threads being posted are just repeats of the same problem. If people learned how to "SEARCH",and stopped posting about the same thing over and over again,I would actually have something to say. I mean really guys how many times do we hafta tell people that are mis-firing or stumbling to check the damn plugs & DI?!!?

Love always,...
Pissed off in the Bronx

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by MikeH:
[qb]Hey justin nice to see you back,where you been? and hows the car??
mike   [/qb][/b]
Kevin Mc
Member # 760 posted 02-07-2002 20:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed that too - nice to see you back Justin.
--------------------------------------------------Glad to be back guy's,how's life?? The cars runnin' good,pulled 140mph last week no shimmy, shake,or vibration. Raced a 9000 aero yesterday,...smoked 'em,week or so before that encountered a 9-5 aero squeeked out the win. Sounds like I'm havin' some troubles with my suspension,getting a heavy clunk(right side) over bumps. Possible bushing problem,should have it fixed by next week.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
The topic to which Justin refers is here

I haven't been around because I dont appreciate it when I worked very hard on my "saab links" thread,only to have it locked and forgotten.I didnt search the web,organize,and post those links for my health. That and most of the threads being posted are just repeats of the same problem. If people learned how to "SEARCH",and stopped posting about the same thing over and over again,I would actually have something to say. I mean really guys how many times do we hafta tell people that are mis-firing or stumbling to check the damn plugs & DI?!!?  [/b]
Justin, following your own advice, if people use the "Search" feature then they can access the wealth of information placed here by contributors such as yourself. By it's very nature, the search function negates the need for "bumping" threads.

The question is more of responsible posting by contributors. Why not do a search to see if your question has already been answered. Fortunately, many people are happy to answer questions as they are posted - even if they have been asked before.

Here's a suggestion. If you compile a categorised page of links, I shall host it for you at www.saabs.org - how about that? On this board we pride ourselves on only having ever deleted about six posts (these have been where people have posted disgusting messages or have been trying to provoke a fight - neither of these are helpful). It is rare for a topic to be locked, but they will be locked if a facilitator sees a fight kicking off or where there is abuse of the board by bumping topics.

Bumping threads only serves to keep alive threads that nobody has anything else to contribute to. It only takes one thread in each forum to be bumped each day to make the board a monotonous place.

Cheers

·
Registered
188 Posts
Originally posted by mutungi:
[qb]Hiya Justin, have you fixed that "banger" of a SAAB as yet?   [/qb][/b]
Its gettin' there,slowly but surely. I cant do as much as I want to because my time is limited. My HVAC classes are 3 nights a week @ 3 hrs a piece,and the days we've been having,its not healthy to be outside,well above 90*!!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
NOW BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND!!----
You need a recirculating BOV(dumper),since that is what they come with stock,thats what u should replace it with.If u go atmospheric there will probably be more lag(if any) than before the atmospheric went in.
Heres the 3 from Forge-
1) http://www.forgemotorsport.com/saab.asp?ca...product=FMDV004 (atmospheric)

2) http://www.forgemotorsport.com/saab.asp?ca...roduct=FMDVS006 (recirc)

3) http://www.forgemotorsport.com/saab.asp?ca...oduct=FMDVS007P (recirc)

here's a link to spg9-Bosch 20 psi bypass valve- http://www.spg9.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi

more turbo stuff--- http://www.saabperformanceparts.com/prod012.htm

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a forge BOV fitted to my car (not the saab).

The car as standard has a re-circ type BOV but I changed it to a vent to atmos:-

a. Cos I like the pssst noise.

b. As the ECU is expecting to see a return on lift off it over fuels and I get pops & bangs through the de cat exhaust. And if its really hot I get some flames as well

No change in tick over or boost lag.

Ian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking to have some fun with this hooter valve on my car, so I was figuring I could go both ways and get the Re-circ. and the Atmospheric. How do I know for sure that I can use the atmospheric with ou damaging my turbo or anything else?

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I think you'll have to use a recirculating BOV otherwise you'll have un-metered air and this will confuse the system.

You don't have to go down the Bailey/ Forge/ Abbott route as Bosch make an up-rated BOV (part No. 0 280 142 108) for Porsche. It's also used in the Viggens Swedish Dynamics sell them in the US and they come in at about half the price of Bailey. Metal body and piston too...

As for the woosh noise: try www.takakaira.com/accessories/nightpager/nightpager.html . Would you believe a device to make a dump valve sound for n/a cars Seems to be genuine

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.