Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an interesting comment in Car Mechanics(September)over the weekend - the one with the 900 Turbo project article.
This was in reference to Nissan Primera - electronics diagnostics - and related to a dirty air mass meter and states - "Problems with air mass meters arise when standard filters have been replaced with a non-standard oil impregnated filter" - I am running a JR of this type and wondered if anyone on the board had experienced this?

Mike

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I haven't experienced it, but I know the standard 9000 air filter is regarded as flowing extremely well. I ran a K&N filter in mine for a while but eventually changed it back, for no other reason than the standard filter is known to filter very well and that many tuning "experts" in Sweden (including Dr. Boost, who works for Saab) reckon the standard filter flows well enough for high power applications. I feel this is safer and I haven't noticed any drop in performance, subjectively.

I have heard the filtering performance of K&N filters brought into question. I know nothing about the JR filter, though.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Problems with air mass meters arise when standard filters have been replaced with a non-standard oil impregnated filter"  [/b]
Interesting. Both my cars use JR Filters, and both have Airmass meters.

I've had nothing but trouble with the TiD's airmass meter, and have reciently swapped back to a standard Saab filter on that.

I wonder what kind of problems they mean? On the TiD it's been a combination of oily deposits on the meter requiring cleaning, and 2 meter failures.. didn't think it was anything to do with the filter tho..

·
Registered
778 Posts
BillJ - The K&N has issues with filtration when clean. It seems once they get a bit dirty, they are more effective in filtration. Mine's still doing its' duty on my 9000 but I will probably go back to the original in another year - it's been on there for two years now and I did an oil analysis that showed silicon levels aren't really that bad. However, I also read the threads where Dr. Boost mentioned that Saab had done extensive tests on filtration effectiveness. I wonder if when they did these tests whether they used new or 'dirty' K&N's? I respect his opinion on just about all things concerning Saabs - except his views on spark plug gaps! Aeroguys' arguments were much stronger on this matter, IMHO!

·
Registered
272 Posts
To MarkA , the problem with the air mass meter on diesel engines is a Bosch fault , al diesel with Bosch air mass meter like Vw , Opel , etc , have this kind of problems .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts