Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Recently purchased my first SAAB ( 9-3 2011 ) & am considering replacing the head unit with possibly a 1 din aftermarket DAB radio.

Having watched several YOU tube videos, I am looking for advice - specifically regarding the connections for speakers and steering wheel controls etc.
I believe the system I have is a Premium 150, and I note the audio amp in the boot.
I am unclear how the speaker connections from a new radio would be connected to the existing amp ??

Are there wiring harness adaptors required ??

Any advice most welcome - thanks

Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Recently purchased my first SAAB ( 9-3 2011 ) & am considering replacing the head unit with possibly a 1 din aftermarket DAB radio.

Having watched several YOU tube videos, I am looking for advice - specifically regarding the connections for speakers and steering wheel controls etc.
I believe the system I have is a Premium 150, and I note the audio amp in the boot.
I am unclear how the speaker connections from a new radio would be connected to the existing amp ??

Alan
I've owned many, many Saabs over the past 30 years, and am a serious audio guy. I want to have absolutely high quality deep full sound in any car I own. I've modified the sound systems in a number of my Saabs, the most recent being a 2008 Lynx Edition ragtop. The car came with Premium audio and sounded very good. But I wanted integrated nav, Apple CarPlay, backup camera, etc. I had a $1,400 head unit professionally installed, and replaced all speakers with top end audiophile speakers- about $1,200 worth. All told, parts and shop charges for the work, a $4,000 upgrade. Nav, Apple CarPlay, Blu Tooth backup camera and all the rest worked beautifully. The sound? Not nearly as good as what it came with new. Not even close. As many Saabs as I've had and modified thje audio systems in you'd think I might have learned by now. Nope! So with all the experience I've had trying to upgrade Saab audio systems, my best advice is DON'T! You won't make it better and your wallet will suffer for the experience. -DLH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Alan
Good day, The 2011 SAAB 9-3 operates with a networked system that allows various components to communicate with each other. Removing your SAAB OEM radio and reinstalling a non-SAAB radio can cause a lot of problems electronically because your OEM radio is part of the internal communications system in your 9-3. I would not do this unless you have access to a car audio shop that has expertise in the 9-3's audio and canbus system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've owned many, many Saabs over the past 30 years, and am a serious audio guy. I want to have absolutely high quality deep full sound in any car I own. I've modified the sound systems in a number of my Saabs, the most recent being a 2008 Lynx Edition ragtop. The car came with Premium audio and sounded very good. But I wanted integrated nav, Apple CarPlay, backup camera, etc. I had a $1,400 head unit professionally installed, and replaced all speakers with top end audiophile speakers- about $1,200 worth. All told, parts and shop charges for the work, a $4,000 upgrade. Nav, Apple CarPlay, Blu Tooth backup camera and all the rest worked beautifully. The sound? Not nearly as good as what it came with new. Not even close. As many Saabs as I've had and modified thje audio systems in you'd think I might have learned by now. Nope! So with all the experience I've had trying to upgrade Saab audio systems, my best advice is DON'T! You won't make it better and your wallet will suffer for the experience. -DLH
Many thanks for your reply & advice - certainly made me re-consider, one aim was to have unit that offered DAB+ and USB etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good day, The 2011 SAAB 9-3 operates with a networked system that allows various components to communicate with each other. Removing your SAAB OEM radio and reinstalling a non-SAAB radio can cause a lot of problems electronically because your OEM radio is part of the internal communications system in your 9-3. I would not do this unless you have access to a car audio shop that has expertise in the 9-3's audio and canbus system.
Thanks for your advice, specifically re - can bus etc. From my youth - I found replacing a radio simple, just speakers & power & aerial. Now everything is so complicated - just wanted DAB+ & USB :cry:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a link to info on the 9-3 audio, nav & telematics 2007-2012
Many thanks for your help - great info

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

Alan
Hey Alan,

All you need is in this video description. It is literally plug and play. Despite what others have said, you will not lose any sound quality if you upgrade to a decent head unit, these allow you to have total control over your car speakers. £400 will buy you a decent head unit with the features you want and the accessories you need to install something aftermarket.

Stu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts