Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I went to unlock my 08 plate Aero 20T using one of the two supplied key fobs and nothing happened. Figuring the battery may be dead I reached for the spare, but still nothing. After much playing around I finally find that the only way to lock or unlock the car (remotely) is to put the transmitter right next to the bottom right (when facing the vehicle from front) corner of the windscreen .

Slightly irritated I called the dealer and booked the car in for attention.

Later that day I remember that we altered the transmit channel on our video sender for the TV the previous evening, and sure enough, switching the video sender off solves my remote key fob problem!!! I've now turned the sender on and off several times, and have proved beyond all doubt that this is the cause of the problem. Altering the operating frequency of the video sender also resolved it.

On calling the Saab dealer back they tell me that the key fobs operate at around 4.3 GHz, whereas my video sender works on around 5.8 , yet it's obviously close enough in frequency or proximity (or both) to cause sufficient interference to be problematic.

Interesting thing is, supposing it was my neighbor who'd had the sender? I'd have never twigged what the cause was. Worse, upon taking it to the dealer the problem would have doubtless solved itself, only to return when I'd brought it home. That's why I decided to stick this on the forum hoping that if you've searched here first before booking your car in it might help you.

My advice if both your key fobs suddenly stop working. Use the mechanical key to take the car half a mile down the road. Then try the fob again. If it mysteriously starts working again then this could be your problem, and not the receiver on your car.

Best,

Mark.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I have tried ALL suggested remedies for my non-functioning remote key for my 2004 9-5 ARC to no avail. Does anyone KNOW hows to fix this problem???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you tried reprogramming the key?
To determine the cause of the keychain failure, check if the spare remote key works. If your car still does not respond to the second (spare) key, then most likely the problem is not with the remote key

In this case, the problem is most likely related to the electronics of the car. For example, more often it can be either a mechanical or electronic malfunction of the vehicle door locks. It is also not uncommon when a car does not see the key due to a breakdown in the receiving antenna of the car alarm.

But most likely the battery compartment contacts were damaged in the remote control or there is a malfunction of the key buttons.

So there is another option:
Reprogramming the car key after replacing the battery

In order for the remote keyless entry into the car to work properly, it is necessary that it is reliably connected via radio channel to the radio receiver unit by the vehicle’s security system. So if a battery runs out in your remote control, the car will not be able to recognize you as the owner of the car and will not disarm it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts