Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ken called me back today about the Griffin. Following total:

Head Gasket gone £450

Radiator Leaking £250

Kickdown Cable Motor £1067

Throttle Housing £800

Total Ken reckons will probably hit £3000 easy.

Time to break her up I've told the missus, heartbroken as she is we won't be paying that to put a 'K' plate back on the road.

What was I saying the other day about TCS?????

·
Registered
260 Posts
Before you do the dreadful deed, have you thought of getting the parts from the States? I understand they're much cheaper over there.
Try contacting this chap:[email protected]
He's not a dealer, but is very knowledgable with regard to TCS, in fact he's the only person I know who's managed to de-TCS a car!!!
He may be able to point you in the right direction.
He writes regularly on the SAAB Network Digest.
Good Luck
Pete.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Scrappy,I am sorry to read your news,but hang on before you break,£450 for a head gasket is extortionate,Christ,you can buy a recon head for £495,a radiator for about £ 95.I dont know about the throttle housing and what the hell is a kick down cable motor?,I have never heard of one,but I am always willing to learn. Back to the cylinder head,skim and pressure test,about £80,gasket say £40,labour?well the sky is the limit,but even at £30 an hour,four hours should do it,and all that is still well under £450
I have the feeling that someone did not want the work.
Mike

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ken said he was very keen to do the work, but obviously understood the price of the parts was extortionate. Ken's a very nice bloke who tells you straight down the line whats wrong. He only had it 2pm yesterday and already diagnoses it by 4pm, I can't fault him work wise so far.

Oh and Pete thanks for the mail...Have mailed him, lets hope for a good response.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Cheer up ....sleep over it and think again! You need a second opinion, with all due respect, Ken appears to be a very busy man! I concur with MikeH on the scenario...also, what the heck is the kickdown cable motor & Throttle housing(£800
), the 'K' plate could easily be back on the road with minimal cost!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Deffo get a quote from other places for the head gasket. But the throttle housing sounds about the norm! Keep an eye out at the Salvo's or just look for a replacement or donor car. If you wanna hand fixing it yerslef (and you can put up with newbie skills) gimme a shout, I could do with the practice.

Like Mike I don't know what the kickdown cable motor does, is it s feature on Autos with TCS or all Autos?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not only the car (which for the record isn't mine, its my missus's but one opf the same thing really as she uses her company one for everyday motoring)But it's my missus getting peeved as she's hardly driven it in 12 months (imagien the earache I'm getting, especially as it's left to me to sort these types of things out) and yet its still costing money. She wants the put a hammer to it! but we needed it to go to Denmark on the 18th August which is looking impossible now, she'll have to blag for her company one if she can. problem can be getting it to whoever next.... and to be honest I am running out of other people to look at it that are local, apart from that place in Swadlincote which I haven't got an address or number to anyway so hammer to the Griffin is looking ever the likelier if my missus gets her way!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Scrappy, don't despair:

New clutch, reconned turbo, timing chain etc, engine mounts, head gasket, lower ball joint, oil service and MoT cost me £1,800 all inclusive using proper Saab parts...and loaned a newer gas fired 9000 LPT for the two weeks they had my 9000 turbo. They only had it that long because I couldn't get down to them Mon-Fri. Feels like a new car, goes like luck (sounds like)!

This from Alresford Motor Services who are really the business. They even apologised because the turbo cost more than they had originally quoted! Try Patrick on 01692 733888 or [email protected] as you may get a surprise rather than a shock! Good luck.

bill

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will call Ken today...square with what I owe him for the diagnosis and his time and then see if it will drive back. If it does will get it back and 99.9% sure I will break her up. She's got a lovely Half Leather/suede Cream Interior...with memory on both seats and full cappings on door ledge. Also has that great sounding CD/Tape/Amp I was telling everyone about a while back. And the cross spoke alloys are in good nick and the virtually new goodyears on there have done about 2K. Oh and on the OSF the wheel bearing has done a trip to Rugby only still have all receipts and owners books.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had to replace the head gasket on my '96 9000 Aero last year as there was a slight oil leak.
I think I got a head gasket set from Saab for no more than £50. I'm lucky in that I have a mate who is a great mechanic. He doesn't often work on Saabs, but it only took him 3-4 hours. I had to fork out for some new anti-freeze as well. But take it from me, £450 to replace a head gasket is like talking dealer prices.

As another example, I hit some mud on the road 3 weeks ago and hit a kerb rather (like VERY) hard as a result . The repairs required are 2 new wheels & tyres, new wing, suspension wishbone, the whole suspension assembly (bar the spring), drive shaft and steering link arms and bushes. The bumper had to come off to be re-sprayed too. I can't think that my insurance company were too impressed at the bill - £2600 parts, £700 labour - but this is at a Saab main dealer. The total price is not that much more than your bill, but as you can see there is much more being done. Make your own conclusions from the quote you have been given - don't give up just yet.
I get my Hirsch Aero back on Monday after 3 weeks.
How excited am I?!?

Ghost

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.