Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has all been discussed before, but I'm about to buy a replacement for my 5 yr old 9-3 2.0i S, and have a few questions about chipping before I select what car to get.

a) If i remap using Maptun or similar, is there any difference to reliability in doing it to an LPT or an FPT? i.e. are the engines similarly built except for the management system?

B) are the brakes and suspension the same for the LPT and FPT cars? I wouldn't want to mess about replacing brakes to match the improved performance if i could have just bought a more suitable car in the first place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The only difference between an lpt and an fpt is the trionic and the solenoid valve (the lpt doesn't have one) If you equip the lpt with a solenoid valve and the trionic of an fpt you create an fpt. That's as simple as it is! So there will be no difference in reliability.

As far as i know the lpt an the fpt has the same brakes, the aero and viking has different brakes. For an 9-3 you can easily upgrade your brakes with grooved or drilled disks combined with better pads (pagid fast road for example) You can also buy "big brake" kits but they are very expensive.

The only difference, after the upgrade, between the lpt and the fpt is the lack of the turbo gauge.

·
Registered
262 Posts
When I was shopping around for my 9-3, I noticed that there were very few FPT's around and those which were available were at a premium. I bought an LPT and have just spent under £500 on a stage 1 ECU upgrade which includes an APC solenoid. This gives the LPT performance which is significantly better than a standard FPT. Although you are still without a boost gauge, an aftermarket one would provide a more accurate reading anyway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Andy,

I am thinking of going to Stage 1 in my LPT what do you need a Boost gauge for ?

I think the pillar mounted ones don't look the best and if not need I thinking of not putting one in.

Eoin

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sorry Eoin, I didn't mean to cause any confusion. It's just that I have fitted an MBC along with my upgrade and in order to keep an eye on the boost pressure I am dialling in, I have to retro fit a boost gauge as the LPT does not have one. If you are fitting the ECU upgrade alone, there is no need for a boost gauge.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by Eoin:
[qb]Andy,

I am thinking of going to Stage 1 in my LPT what do you need a Boost gauge for ?

Eoin [/qb][/b]
It is just for the fun factor!!!!!!!!

You don't really need it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Originally posted by mxl:
[qb]The only difference between an lpt and an fpt is the trionic and the solenoid valve (the lpt doesn't have one).
As far as i know the lpt an the fpt has the same brakes, the aero and viking has different brakes [/qb][/b]
True, but only for a T5 9-3, T7 engines already have the solenoid valve. On the 9-5's up to MY2001 there are other differences.

As for the brakes... 9-3 aero has the same as all the rest, only the viggen (viking ) and the 9-5 aero have bigger brakes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts