Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

Relays above fuse box.

Tags
box fuse relays
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Soharuda 
#1 · (Edited)
Last thursday (August 28th) I was on a back-road and went through a rough area on the road. My car shut off and since has not gotten power to the fuel pump. I had my girlfriend turn on the key with a tester connected to where there should be power. The float still received power but the pump never does. When I checked the fuse (14) it had no power either. I am aware the fuel pump will not always be on so I would be touching where I need to be when she turned the key on.

I called a dealership who instructed me there is another relay location above the fuse box. When I took the two screws out and got it down a relay (gray) fell down to my floorboard. I suspect that is the fuel pump relay but where exactly does it plug in? I don't want to just go plugging that relay in and mess something up to find out the relay for the fuel pump is still in and has just went bad.

EDIT: I have a 95 Saab 9000 Aero 2.3L Turbo

#2 ·
Google Saab 9000 relays, and you will find a bunch of pictures, among which is a diagram showing the relay positions, and even pointing out the location of the fuel pump relay.
There is also a diagram painted in white within the plastic drop-down of the fuse box, but IIRC I think you have to remove the plastic studs of the hinged part.

#3 ·
After some trial an error I discovered that yes, the relay that fell to the floor was the fuel pump relay. Seating it properly back into its place though did nothing to re-power my fuel pump though. After testing it and verifing the relay was still good I went and bought the Haynes book from Amazon. It suggested trying the relay from the Radiator Fan - Low Speed. Oddly, this worked. When I placed the relay that was originally hooked up to the fuel pump, the fan worked as normal. So, basically the relay was not working properly after it bounced out from bumps. Swapping it out to a less sensitive location worked I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.