Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted a new set of discs and Mintex 1144 pads on all four corners at the same time some while ago. I noticed recently that the rear pads have worn out whilst the fronts still have at least 50% left.

In my experience of other vehicles, even mid engined devices, the front brakes have always worn out first. I appreciate that the rear pads are much smaller than the fronts, but even so it seems odd.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I too would have thought that the fronts would wear faster than the backs as they are biased that way - would check to make sure the caliper/pads are not binding on the retaining bolts - and I take it that the composition of the pads is the same being that they were all 1144?

Mike

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't taken them off yet, just looked through the wheel pending arrival of the new ones, so I can't comment on the inside pads, but the outside ones are both nearly gone.

I also assume that the composition of the pads is the same front to rear. Everything seems to be working well at the rear, adjusters, handbrake etc etc, no sign of sticking.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I've found with the DS2500 and DS3000 pads I've been using that the rears wear out first. They are rather smaller than the fronts and perhaps the motorsport compound makes a difference too. Most of the wear takes place on the track, so I don't know whether normal road use would cause the same effect.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having replaced the pads, I was somewhat surprised to find that both offside pads were significantly more worn than both nearside pads. The nearside pads have about 3mm left, the offside ones <1mm. The calipers both seem to function correctly, adjusters work properly etc.

Has anyone else noticed different wear rates?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
An update on this one - I fitted new Ferodo DS3000 pads on the rear for the first time last week (fronts are DS3000 and have lasted ages) in preparation for the Goodwood track day on Saturday. Unfortunately, due to a hub nut working slightly loose and having no way to tighten it, I only got two sessions as I didn't want to wreck the expensive wheel bearing.

To cut a long story short, I checked the pads this morning. The fronts don't seem to have worn much at all, but the rears are down to a few mm! Had the hub problem not stopped me from continuing, it wouldn't have been long before I had no pad material and scored discs. I can hardly believe it. Think I'll go back to DS2500 or M1144 on the rear. Something that will last a whole track day.

I wonder whether genuine Saab rear pads are a different material from the front pads? Those pads are awfully small for the pounding they can be given.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bill,

it still seems odd that the rear pad area is so small compared to the front. I thought the trend in recent years had been to make pad area bigger so they lasted longer, maybe this passed the Saab designers by! Whilst your case is extreme, looking at the wear on mine, it looks like the fronts will last as long as three sets of rears, which is a little disconcerting.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Assuming that, like tyres, harder wearing = lower friction, one has to think that we have changed the brake balance by fitting fast wearing/high friction rear pads. Unless Saab original pads have some magic ingredient, which their front pads certainly don't.

However, I have not noticed an excess of rear braking.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I don't know about 9000's, by non ABS C900's had soft rears and med and hard (inner/outer) fronts...

The rears did lots of the gentle braking, but when pressed harder, the fronts came in and provided lots of braking while the rears faded off.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]one has to think that we have changed the brake balance by fitting fast wearing/high friction rear pads.[/qb][/b]
Probably, but with its current suspension setup, my car has a lot less tendency to dive under braking, which I assume means I can have more braking at the rear. Fitting performance pads to the rear has made this "diving" tendency even less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.