Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this problem a few months ago and obviously never really fixed the problem.
In Oz you don't really need your rear wiper often, so I was planning to not use it, but unfortunately tonight I accidently pressed the rocker switch on the stalk and the wiper moved half a stroke and blew the fuse.

Once that happens you have no wipers or washers and switching the RWW off doesn't help because it is not parked.

When I arrived home I initially thought I would expend a few fuses and get the RWW parked. I could then disconnect it or put a plastic tie around the rocker to prevent me from accidently switching it on. That sounds a bit agricultural, (sorry Bill) but would give me some breathing space.

No such luck, the wiper fuse blows spectacularly each time I replace it. I must have a 'real' dead short.

Previously I had removed the RWW and had it checked by an auto electrician who said it was OK.

A contributor suggested I might have a chaffed wire where the wires go to the hatch near the hinge. The wires are neatly encased and I didn't know how to check this.

Despite not finding a fault last time, I put it all back together and it worked pefectly - now this. Interestingly the car has not been wet for weeks, unlike the last time when I suspected some was getting into the wiring.

I need to find this short circuit and any help would be appreciated. I have checked the archives and the only other thing I could see I need to follow up is if the problem still persists with the hatch up.

I just went outside and tried it with the hatch up. The RWW moves 1/8" and died.

Could it be the switch? Perhaps I need to remove the RWW again and get another auto electrician to check it.
HELP!!!

cheers

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Hi Ian

If you can uncouple the wiring to the RWW inside the hatch do so. Then renew the fuse and if it doesn't blow then the fault will probably be inside the hatch area, could be the motor windings intermittently on short or the spindle through the hatch being seized, etc.

Give this a go, at least you'll be able to use your front wipers once the fuse remains intact.

Nick.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

As I did last time I have now disconnected the RWW replaced the fuse and the front wipers are fine.

I have had a close look around the hatch area and it looks like the day it left the factory. I even removed the fuse box under the LF airbag. (Wow, what a set of wires) There is no evidence of any fault there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to ask about the wires to the RWW. There are 4 wires;

Brown & white
Blue
Blue & white
Black

The wiring diagram in the Haynes is no help at all because it doesn't include the RWW.

Anyone know what's what??

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Can't help with the colour codes, but the fact that the fuse now remains intact points towards either of the problems that I mentioned previously.

If you can remove the motor easily do so, and see if the spindle through the hatch is free to move. If it is free then the motor is highly suspect. As with all things it then gets down to whether you have the time (and inclination!)to strip it down to see if it's repairable or down to the scrappies for a 'new' motor.

Good luck.

Nick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Ian, Just check the reverse lamp circuit , are they working??

The reverse light from memory are on the same circuit , diconect the swich and replace the fuse and operate the wipers. If they are ok replace the connector on the switch and try again . Let me know the result.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott

Thanks, I tried the reversing lights and they work with the wiper fuse removed or in place. I think they must be on a different circuit.

As a result of speaking with a former motor mechanic at work yesterday I tried something which should have been obvious.

I connected a brake light globe between the brown/white wire and the black. Switched on the RWW and the globe lit! The fuse didn't blow.

I only had a 15 amp fuse in at the time instead of a 20, but I think I am safe in saying I may not have a wiring problem

Perhaps the RWW motor has a fault which was not found the last time I took the motor to an auto electrician. Am I on the right track?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Have you tried putting 12v into the wiper motor when it is electrically disconnected. You could put an ammeter in series and see what current it is pulling. You should be able to discount a wiring snag in the harness.
Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.