Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the board - just bough a 1990 9000S 2.3 Turbo. I grew up in Saabs, my parents always had them, still got 2 2.3 Turbos themselves! I'm loving owning one myself too.

Needless to say, a few small problems which I will no doubt bore you with over time, but the first and most annoying is a non-functioning rear wiper. I have the type with the push button on the dash to the right of the wheel, but nothing happens. The unit on the rear window is minus its cover so I suspect there is a problem.

My question is, how do I remove the rear unit, what wires go in/out of it (so I can check if it is getting any power at all) and what on earth are all those electronics in it for? Also, is it on the same fuse as the other wipers?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
John,
I recently have had the same problem,when I took the wiper arm off,and the cover beneath,I found a large lump of electrolitic corrosion,the spindle was seized solid unto the outer sleeve and eaten most of it away,the square motor is as rare as hens teeth on the second hand market and as yet I have not had the bottle to price one at the dealer.
Mike

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the welcome! Billj - I love your website, if you are the Electric Dreams guy

I guess I'll just take the plunge and pick it to pieces and see what I can see! Still love to know why it needs all that gubbins in there...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by John Carlyle-Clarke:
[qb]Billj - I love your website, if you are the Electric Dreams guy[/qb][/b]
Yep, that's me. Thanks for the vote of confidence
Re-working the website at the moment, then will get back to adding all the stuff I've done recently. Rear wiper motor replacement will be added once I've done it, but a bit too late for you, unfortunately.

Whereabouts in Dorset?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Billj: Near Shaftesbury - technically I'm in Wilts by about 1/2 mile, but spiritually in Dorset.

Kevinmc: I'm awaiting my Haynes, but looking at the fuses there was no specific mention of "Rear wiper", only "wipers". Not sure if one fuse covers all, but if it does then it isn't that, because the front wipers work fine.

Perhaps someone with a wiring diagram could confirm which fuse the rear wiper should be on? Probably difficult given all the various arrangements they had for rear wiper controls(looking at earlier threads). I notice that the owners handbook doesn't even mention rear wipers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by CarlyKeith:
[qb]Billj said :- We software engineers seem to represent quite a chunk of Saabsceners!

Yes Bill, and probably type at 3k words aminute.
        [/qb][/b]
...thus, knowing that: 1 word = 2 bytes, and 1 Screen = 2k bytes - we get 1 page full of info every 20sec (or half-full every 10sec)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Nufis:
[qb]QUOTE
Originally posted by CarlyKeith:
[qb]Billj said :- We software engineers seem to represent quite a chunk of Saabsceners!

Yes Bill, and probably type at 3k words aminute.
             [/qb][/b]
...thus, knowing that: 1 word = 2 bytes, and 1 Screen = 2k bytes - we get 1 page full of info every 20sec (or half-full every 10sec) [/qb][/b][/quote]Well 1 page full, but not necessarily of info

Did you write a program to work that out?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by John Carlyle-Clarke:
[qb]Billj: Near Shaftesbury - technically I'm in Wilts by about 1/2 mile, but spiritually in Dorset.[/qb][/b]
Just wondered. I have friends in Christchurch. In fact, I hope to be getting drunk enough there tomorrow night to need some fresh sea air on Sunday morning

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.