Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a rear wheel drive gearbox that will fit onto a turbo engine, orcombinations of gearbox and bell housing. I have aquired a good engine and would like to put it into a rear wheel drive "7" type kit car for some serious giggles.
I am able to make minor alterations and mods but fabricating a complete bell housing/ input shaft is a little beyond me - any ideas?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I've only been involved (years ago) in this sort of thing with putting A series Metro engines in Morris Minors. Not too hard in the early days as the Metro engines were developed from the in-line A series in the first place. However there are now Minors with K series engines in them. These are the all aluminium engines used in the Metro Rover 200 and 400 and were designed as transverse only. These engines have been adapted to in-line engines and are used in Caterhams and other specials.

I think that when these were turned in-line all the adaptation was done in the engine end-plate and a different rear wheel drive gearbox used (Ford Sierra and Nissan Bluebird were common). The new end plate was cut and drilled to suit both engine and gearbox fixings as well as providing engine mounting points.

Some plates were thin, if the bolts from the bell housing could be screwed into new holes drilled through the end plate into the engine block. Others were thick enough to take threaded holes for the bellhousing bolts and countersunk holes for the bolts to the engine itself so that these did not protrude into the clutch area.

Apart from the special end plate which is not too difficult as it's flat. You will probably have to modify the end of the crankshaft to take the gearbox shaft bearing. Should all be possible with the help of a good machine shop and a set of detail drawings of engine and gearboxes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.