Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In all cases, this seems to be only when - or at least only noticeable when - there are passengers in the back.

My old '91 used to make horrible noises from the back end with people in the back when you went over a bump.

My '97 does it too, but not as badly. I've noticed that my folks 96 and 97 CSE's do it too.

Is this the nature of the beast, or is it the sign of a common failure?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My '96 doesn't do it John and there's not that much to go clunk at the back end really. May be the exhaust hitting something on full bump. The large rubber bushes at the axle end of Watt's linkage were prone to go on the 99s and 900s but I've never had a problem with 9000 ones. Only other thing, and these do give problems, are the anti-roll bar rubbers, don't know if they'd be responsible for a clunk though, or perhaps it is one of the dampers which is making the noise.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi JohnCC,
How goes it? I have a 1986 9000, and I have a clunk in the rear end. It is 2 things, the first is the exhaust hanger rubber, and the second I have found is that the bushes on the Panhard rods are shot also. (diagonal beam, that runs across back axle). I will be replacing all the bushes in the back end soon though and I hope this cures all the noises.
Chris

·
Registered
230 Posts
I do agree about the exhaust.
I am going part poly, part original rubber. Poly for ARB and lower control arms, and rubber for the rest. Manily because thats all that is available for 9000 here in Australia. Importing would be about $100 dearer.(plus GST)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Similar noise in our 9000 originated from corroded fuel tank straps. Maybe worth a look.

My father, some years ago, had a clonk or bobble in his vehicle, that he drove from new, whenever going over a bump, or a hole in the road. It was always there, whether there were passengers in the car or not.

A shock absorber was replaced under warranty, which curiously resulted, I later discovered, in one being oil based, and one being air! However, the clonk remained. The exhaust system was fine.
Dad lived with it.

Two years later, I found that the noise resulted from the handbrake cable, which was routed underneath and hit the differential. The cure was to wrap the collar in a section of garden hose.

The vehicle? a Morris Marina! (Company Repmobile)

Maybe it might be worth investigating this kind of route too!

HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.