Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with the rising fuel prices, I have thought about removing the rear seats as they hardly ever get used to improve the MPG.

Are they hard to do and will they lighten the car noticeably?
I know that AlanB's has no rear seats, but will it really help me as much as I want?

1994 9000 Aero

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
guessing that the rear seats weigh about 25-30kgs, then the car will be about 2% lighter and about 20% noisier inside I'm doubtful you'll notice any difference and carrying passengers won't be much fun..

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Broken Turbo:
[qb]The best way to improve the MPG is to remove some of the weight in your right shoe.    :thumbsup:  [/qb][/b]
I agree. With my Aero, I have had 40 MPG on a clear run without trying too hard. The Aero's very high gearing can make for excellent fuel economy if you don't put the boot in too much.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I had a run from Brighton up to Bedford Autodrome, yesterday, and a speeds of 60-70mph on motorways SID was reporting 39.4mpg ...whilst listening to a debate on Radio Five Live about rising fuel prices

From a significantly tuned 9-3 I reckon that is a pretty decent economy figure.

Economy can be improved significantly by modifying one's driving style.

I arrived at my destination a lot more relaxed, too.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]Economy can be improved significantly by modifying one's driving style.[/qb][/b]
Agree 100%. Try to use acceleration sense to avoid too much start/stop and that can make 10-15% difference without trying too hard.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
I was plodding along around the M25 yesterday, at about 50-60mph like your typical old f4rt Saab driver, when an Audi pulled alongside and the beaming mug of another SSc member was laughing and waving at me
(Any other day and he and I would be flying along a little quicker )

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Today I have been driving her 9-3SS 1.8t auto. It's normally used on a 2.5 mile urban commute and other short local trips. I scrolled through the SID and found that the mpg figure was reading 17.2 mpg

·
Registered
329 Posts
that's autos + traffic for you. Since getting cruise control put in mine though I have seen a big improvement in motorway mpg - although maybe that is also because I have come to the rather grandad-like conclusion that driving at a steady 60, along with all the lorries etc., means you get there in a much better frame of mind, and having not chewed so much petrol, and not a million miles later then if you'd been trying to drive at 90 and beeped and flashed everyone to get out of your way...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Driving my Aero back from the New Forest last night with a roof box and 2x bikes on the roof, a bike rack with 2x bikes and a trailer board hanging off the rear and four people in the car the trip computer said 26.7 mpg.

With the nightmare aerodynamics of my loading I thought that was pretty good.

The 9-5 2.3t auto I had before my 9000 Aero averaged 24 mpg without all the cr*p hanging off the outside of the car. If I had used that car and loaded it with all my bikes and camping gear I would have taken forever to get home as I would have had to re-fuel at every service station along the M4

·
Registered
70 Posts
returning from the south of france(argeles-sur-mer)on saturday,car fully loaded,4 up,air con. car returned 30.8mpg.Not bad considering big hold up around Millau and huge climbs eventually up to 1125 metres above sea level.set cruise at between 70-80mph

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]I was plodding along around the M25 yesterday, at about 50-60mph like your typical old f4rt Saab driver, when an Audi pulled alongside and the beaming mug of another SSc member was laughing and waving at me[/qb][/b]
A silver Audi estate yesterday morning or early afternoon, perchance? If so, I had a mini-meet with said Saabscene member when he got to Watford. Your driving must have been pretty unremarkable, because he didn't remark on it

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] I was plodding along around the M25 yesterday, at about 50-60mph like your typical old f4rt Saab driver, when an Audi pulled alongside and the beaming mug of another SSc member was laughing and waving at me[/qb][/b]
A silver Audi estate yesterday morning or early afternoon, perchance? If so, I had a mini-meet with said Saabscene member when he got to Watford. Your driving must have been pretty unremarkable, because he didn't remark on it [/qb][/b][/quote]One of those posh new ones with a 6 speed box?

Andrew

·
Registered
295 Posts
Is it possible to change the top gear ratio on a 2.0 LPT to the Aero without swoping the hole gearbox? That way I migt also get the nice fuel economy for highway driving as the Aero owners have!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It should be possible, but requires removing and dismantling the gearbox. I had the 2.0LPT final drive ratio in my Aero for a while by doing this. I now have a ratio in between the two, which suits the Aero much better.

However, changing the final drive ratio will raise the gearing in all gears, not just 5th gear. The final drive ratio is the only difference between the different models in any given model year.

·
Registered
661 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by BillJ:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was plodding along around the M25 yesterday, at about 50-60mph like your typical old f4rt Saab driver, when an Audi pulled alongside and the beaming mug of another SSc member was laughing and waving at me

A silver Audi estate yesterday morning or early afternoon, perchance? If so, I had a mini-meet with said Saabscene member when he got to Watford. Your driving must have been pretty unremarkable, because he didn't remark on it  

One of those posh new ones with a 6 speed box?

Andrew  [/b]
T'was Myself,Fiance and Son in our Family Audi Avant Quattro tootling round the M25 after i had met up with Bill in Watford and seen my Sister and Husband Sans New Baby.
I spotted /Johns car easily on the Motorway - it wasnt the www.saabtrackday.co.uk sticker on its rear that gave the game away - more the Pimp Daddy wheels and the fact it was listing heavily to Starboard ....
He tried to keep up afterwards but his fuel consumption dropped too much ....
Mine well i had given up on with the 2.8 engine in the Audi

Pete.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine well i had given up on with the 2.8 engine in the Audi

While thinking about economy it always pains me to realise that my mum's boyfriend gets better economy from his Jaguar S-type R (V8 supercharged, 420hp or something silly like that, either 4 or 4.2 l) than I do from my 9k, despite driving it
(and believe me it is very very very fast!). Then again it does have a silly 6th gear, something like 40mph /1000rpm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.