Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've just taken my 1996 9000 cse in for it's
3rd MOT and it's failed - the rear light panel which contains the fog and reversing light is the wrong way round , ie : the fog light is on the left and the reversing light
is on the right. I am told this is a mot failure even though it has passed the previous 2 MOT's with no problems at all.
What further confuses me is that the lights are wired-up correctly - ie : when I engage
reverse the reversing light comes on and when
I turn on the fog light the fog light comes on.
So it seems my car has been fitted with a panel intended for a LHD car even though the
lights are correctly wired.
Has anyone ever come across this problem and
what would be the cheapest source for a replacement panel.
nb - the car has never had any repair work
carried out at the rear.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Try taking it to a different MOT station - they might not notice or be that bothered.
You should also contact Saab UK, since the car apparently hasn't complied with current Construction and Use regulations since new they might be persuaded to replace it free of charge.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Derek is right you should have some comback on saab or the suppling dealer, if you have had the car from new and can prove that there as been no repair work at the rear. they should either stand the cost or meet you halfway, they should have noticed during servicing.just point out they have supplied a vehicle which does not meet constuction and use regs and lighting regs for the UK.

as for the mot, vheicles 1st used after april 1st 1980 one rear fog light is required and must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle, if the mot staition you are using have failed to spot this what else have they missed which is more important

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for you replies,
I think I'll got to another MOT station or
pay a visit to a scrapyard - my local Saab
dealer has quoted 432 pounds just to supply
the part !!.
I could by a car for that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts