Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canadian-spec '89 9kT. I don't believe rear fog lights were offered in NA on earlier MY cars, but I'm hoping someone with a Euro-spec car can tell me which light(s) in the rear cluster(s) are the fog lights? The Haynes manual describes foglights but only says it's combined with the tail lights. My car has both lower lights operating as tail lights, and the outer ones also have second filaments for stop lights. (The top light is also a brake light.)
Are there rear foglights on both sides or only the driver's side?
Can I assume that the lower, inner lights are fogs and should have 2 filaments?
What spec bulb is the fog light? Do they operate from the same switch as the front fog lights or is there a second switch? (I have a blank spot beneath the front light's switch.)
Thanks,
Rod.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Rod,
The lights have a seperate switch,normally next to the f/fog lights,your assumtion as to the bulb position sounds right,but I think they are only single filement,should be a position for a fuse,on my MY92 2.3se there are lights on both sides.
Happy easter

·
Registered
696 Posts
If i"m right The rear fog lights on a 9k are the outer under lights only at the drivers side. Normally connected. But it is possible to connect them both. I will have a look when I'm at work. We have one or two standing at the moment.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
It is normal practice in Europe now only to fit a rear fog light to the driver's side of the car. This is because one light is just as visible as two, and if you have two it is very difficult for following drivers to tell when you brake as the brake lights are the same brightness as the fogs. With only one fog light, it's obvious when the other side lights up that it's a brake light. Obviously the third brake light helps as well, if you've got one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
On my 9000 the fog light operates on the lower outer bulbs, the dual filament bulbs.

Cars are meant to only have 1 bulb like Mark said so its easy(ier) to distinguish between brake and fog lights.

Chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all. I have to assume, then, the Euro tail lights are wired differently if the lower outside light is the fog / tail light. On my car, that's a brake light -- as is the top one. Do Euro cars have only 1 brake light per side?
Rod.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. What I will try to do then is wire the lower outer brake bulb to also work off a switch so I can also have a rear fog. In looking again at the Haynes manual ('85-'98 wiring diagram 3), it shows a foglight warning light in the instrument cluster. Is that in the switch (as I have -- it gets brighter when depressed) or is it in the cluster (I assume with the rear window warning light, etc)?
Rod.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts