Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '93 2.0Lpt has just failed its MOT as the handbrake is not working on one wheel. The Caliper appears to be siezed. (ie. no movement on handbrake level at all). Caliper works from foot brake fine.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is it worth stripping the caliper or should I just get a recon one?

Toby

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mpen.

I've just been looking at eurocarparts. Recon caliper is £60 but I will shop around.

They also list a "rear caliper adjustment kit" for £16. Any idea what this is (my haynes manual is at home!) and will I need it?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
The rear caliper adjustment kit is the allen headed grub screw that you turn to adjust the handbrake. Its just like a grub screw, held in by a small snap ring, on its OD is a thread which does the adjusting. Its this thread that gets damaged hence no handbrake. Check handbrake cable is moving the arm on the caliper. If it is see if turning the screw (theres a plastic cap over it) gives any adjustment, if not replace this screw first (providing rest of caliper OK - i.e. no weeping fluid)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys,

Braking force (as measured by MOT) is down by 15% that side as well so I think I will still go the recon route. If I had more time (I'm supposed to be fixing Lotus brakes this weekend, not Saab ones!) I think following your advice might have saved me some money

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, that will teach me to make assumptions about faults....

Found out over the weekend that the reason the handbrake did not work was the caliper adjustment was way out and the cable was not attached to the handbrake! I just hope German and swedish will refund me on the caliper I have not used!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.