Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have just had a rear spring snap. :(

So I managed to get some bargain-basement spring from euro car parts, and now im ordering some bump stops because they also fell apart.

However, there is a bush on the lower wishbone? which holds the arm to the to the carrier.

So my question is, are these things tricky to replace? i was thinking an oversize socket threaded bar, and pulling it out, or a hub puller with a washer or something.?

Is it worth replacing before it falls out, and i assume when they are totally knackered the centres just push our from the aluminium?

It seems like it is in pretty good at the moment, but i assume the salt is likely to have taken some toll on it.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have just had a rear spring snap. :(

So I managed to get some bargain-basement spring from euro car parts, and now im ordering some bump stops because they also fell apart.

However, there is a bush on the lower wishbone? which holds the arm to the to the carrier.

So my question is, are these things tricky to replace? i was thinking an oversize socket threaded bar, and pulling it out, or a hub puller with a washer or something.?

Is it worth replacing before it falls out, and i assume when they are totally knackered the centres just push our from the aluminium?

It seems like it is in pretty good at the moment, but i assume the salt is likely to have taken some toll on it.

Any thoughts or suggestions.
Part number is 24469643 and it says to screw the bolts in and out so as not to 'ream' the holes. I've had a 9-3 for 165k miles (the North East) and the only bit that went was the rear anti-roll bar bushes so the bushes probably don't need doing.. WIS says to remove the springs by just taking off the caliper and then compressing the springs. My trick is to support the car on stands then jack the axle up until it just starts to raise the car off the stand and then put the spring compressor on then lower the jack. A lot easier than trying to compress them all the way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul. I finished the job, and i think your way sounds a lot better.

I jacked up the axle, then unscrewed the bolt on the bush. let the tension off. Get the spring back in was a little more tricky as was get everything lined up. I really need a podger to align everything.

However all in, Saab is easily an inch higher at the rear, so it must have been sagging for ages..

A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts