Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local tyre place jacked my MY1996 9000 from the rear using a trolley jack (hoist bays were all taken). To my horror the fellow raised the car from the middle of the axle. I noticed this after I peaked out of the waiting room (after about 30minutes). I got the guy to raise the car from the proper point (thanks for web page on 9000 site Bill). My question is, can I expect a problem now because of this?. Has my axle bent now? and can I expect problems down the track? I cannot understand why the axle is so weak (clearly this kind of mistake is commonplace where almost every other make of garden-vatiety car can take its weight over its axle). If there is a problem can you imagine the likelihood the tyre place is going to accept responsibility - Buckley comes to mind.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hi,

I dunno how things work down there, but over here in the UK the Sale of Good and Services Act require that work shall be carried out with due care and responsibility. It's clear that the tyre place failed to do that in your case.

You may have been lucky and there's no damage been caused, but in your case I would at least require the tyre place to pay for a proper independent inspection of the axle and geometry to look for any damage.

As for the axle being weak, well that's because you should always try to keep the unsprung mass of the car as low as possible for optimum handling, so Saab have designed it to be of adequate thickness only for the job it has to do.

It's well known by any half competent mechanic that you should never jack a vehicle under any suspension component...

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I'd be surprised if the beam axle on ANY FWD car has been designed to allow lifting at the centre point by a trolley jack.....
Quite frankly, any mildly competent home mechanic should know this, let alone a so-called professional business.....they should be liable for any repairs neccessary.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Hmm, does this mean that when using axle stands, these should be positioned under the jacking points rather than on either side of the beam? I've not actually done that myself, fortunately my jack was too small to lift the car onto the stands I bought. Would I have done some damage, i.e. was it a lucky escape?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.