Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAS rear anti roll bar or Abbotts upgrade (using existing bar)

What do you reckon?????

Zahid

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I've got the SAS rear ARB in my '96 Aero and think its great.
Abbott have recently reduced the price of theirs (remember to add VAT though) and it will be a slightly less agressive bar. (I think we previously worked out that the total surface area off the Abbott/19mm combo was less than the SAS 1" = a bit less torsion)
I reckon the Abbott bar will be much quicker to fit, but I did like those big hanger re-inforcing plates with the SAS (bit fiddly) and the fast that you get fresh bushes in the process.
Any oversteer worries haven't appeared - although feels better balanced since I polyed the front ARB.
erm - I havent answered your question as I havent tried the Abbott one tbh, but you are welcome to have a look at my SAS if you are in SW london area.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi faero

have just ordered the SAS rear bar with a front strut brace also

How fiddly were the hanger plates My mechanics going to fit it so any advice would be useful
Whereabouts in SW London are you? I'm in East London (East Ham) - unfortunately

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I'm in Surbiton, so a fair distance away from you. (I'm 15mins from the M25 though)
As for fitting
You need to pull back a fair bit of the boot interior to access the top side of the hangers.
When you are putting the hangers back on you'll need to drop the bolts through the new plate on the inside (back bolt fiddly and not to be dropped down the chassis void...), then from underneath lift up the hanger and new bottom plate and screw on the nut. i.e. Much easier with an assistant to hold the top side together
The rest was fine - just a bit of wrestling to get the ends of the ARB to mate up.
One other potential issue is getting the old bar off as the bolt that holds the shock and ARB can seize and its a bit of a mare... (mine was fine)
Comes with good instructions though.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
For DIY fitting, the Abbott is much easier- literally a 10 minute job max.

If you don't want to attempt DIY, then perhaps the SAS is a better option.

On the road there may not be that much difference as two parallel bars are stiffer than a single one of equivalent surface area.

·
Registered
561 Posts
On the subject of surface area and stiffness. Remember that the torsional stiffness depends upon the 2nd moment of area, which rises with the 4th power of the radius of the bar. So a 20mm bar is 22% stiffer than a 19mm bar.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Agreed - that stuff left me long ago... We are also assuming that all the bars are made from the same material with the same torsional stiffness - which they may not be.
Proof is in the driving I suspect!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right. Fitted the SAS rear ARB on Saturday. First impressions, quite surprised with the size and weight over the stock bar
Once fitted, the car feels much firmer and turn in has improved. I feel much more confident taken bends quicker

Also fitted front strut brace. All the creaks from the dash have now gone (what a blessing!!!!)
My steering seems to have become harder, I did check my tyres and they were a bit low bit did'nt notice much difference after pumping them up. Could this be related

New Forge recirc DV. Looks nice, have'nt really noticed a difference in throttle response, which is what most people say, but the car was quick before anyway, so I'll just say there is an improvement to make myself feel better

Gear lever movement has more or less completely gone thanks to the poly top engine mounts. Did'nt get round to doing the poly gearbox one, not sure I want to for fear of making the car too firm. I'll probably have a go anyway as some have said there's not too much difference between the stock rubber and the yellow poly bushes. Gotta experiment I suppose! There is a bit more vibration at idle but it's not so intrusive.

All in all the car feels a lot firmer now. Even my mechanic noticed and he just drove the car out the garage onto the street.

I just want to work on the low down grunt. I know the aero has a bigger turbo and so there is a little more lag but if this can be improved..... Maybe a MBC, but I have'nt got any experience with them so am a bit reluctant.

Oh, the quest for more power, MOWHA HA HA HA!!!!

PS. Thanks for the advice guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts