Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to see how those using either the SAS rear 1" ARB or the Abbott add-on one are enjoying/not enjoying it?
Reducing understeer/roll and increasing turn-in and front end grip is next on my list of to-do's and although there are some posts on experience, it's good to keep up as I imagine others have made the upgrade since those....

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
what do I think of it

caveat is it does promote oversteer in certain circumstances ...jezf and scareo can attest to this
but it really improves turn in and stability
The SAS kit is well made and well thought out and imho good value

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've got the Abbott piggy back. Works very well, same sort of characteristics (not surprisingly) as the SAS. Gives the car very neutral handling (helps reduce understeer).

Very easy job to fit- 10 mins, quite achievable by anyone with two 13mm spanners (you don't even have to jack the car up).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]The SAS kit is well made and well thought out and imho good value [/qb][/b]
Good to hear. Their C900 1" rear ARB is on my 'must get' list for when I return to the UK and get the old beast properly sorted

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the SAS 1" bar too, but must admit was a little disappointed in the result, initially. Before fitting I had poly on all the front arb joints, and had poly on the rear hangers as well as the usual arb to hanger connection. Am using old Abbott springs with std shocks. The car handled well but not as good as I'd expect,so thought the 1" rear arb would change all that. At the time a friend sold me his 3 month old Sprintline kit, so I fitted the shocks, retaining the Abbott springs, at the time I fitted the rear arb.

To cut a long storey short, I didn't realise my tyres P6000s were that bad!!! Changed the front to Dunlop SP2000s, that were on my Annie, and he handling is trnsformed, more that I was expecting, just havn't driven it enough yet, but can agree whole hartedly with the others that have fitted them

I now love the ride and handling, although the Bilsteins can be a bit bouncy at times, and certainly not harsh...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have had the rear SAS bar a month now and am really impressed at how flat the car stays around the bendy bits, almost no roll at all now .
Although I havn't experienced any scarey moments yet, it does quite often feel like I'm on the edge ...........and thats thoroughly recommended!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by merekat:
[qb]I now love the ride and handling, although the Bilsteins can be a bit bouncy at times, and certainly not harsh... [/qb][/b]
I'd be tending to lay the blame on the springs rather than the Billy's........

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would agree with all of the above. I fitted an uprated rear ARB to 2001 9-3 vert. It was easy to fit and makes the car very neutral, almost verging on oversteer around those big roundabouts. I have just got a 9-3 tin top to add to the collection, a new ARB is on the 'must do asap' list

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Got the Elksport rear ARB fitted to my 9-3 along with Koni/Eibach/VRK/Yokohama AVS Sport/17'' wheels.

The ARB is an excellent upgrade. Turns a car thats a little reluctant to turn-in into a fairly fluid handling car. I think it may have also improved ride quality a little too!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've just today fitted the 1" SAS front ARB to the CS.

easy job to fit and now there is almost no body roll at all.

Turn in is still good too.

Need a few more miles yet to get the full picture.

Andrew

·
Registered
390 Posts
I must agree with Flyscotsman, I fitted (well my friendly SAAB technician did) Elkparts ARB to my 9-3 along with Steering clamp and brace on top of the already fitted Hirsch Springs and shocks and it really did improve the car !!! I also think ride might be slightly better

Rob

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for that folks - I've just ordered an SAS rear bar. All being well, next weekend will be Speedparts Stage 3 ECU, SAS Rear bar and PFlex front arm rear bushes.
Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I fitted the SAS rear ARB to the car today. A few pointers to those planning on fitting it:
It's a bit of a fiddle getting the new re-inforced ARB hanger plates in. It's way easier with someone to hold the bolts in the boot while you torque them up from underneath.
I also had to cut a bit off the underside passenger side re-inforcing plate as it fouled against the brake pipe support bracket, so have a jigsaw with hack blade handy.
The rest was plain sailing, if a little cumbersome getting the truck sized bar lined up...

Thoughts? Much better turn in and roll greatly reduced - general confidence in corners is improved to the degree where you can feel what's going on and I think that will help to control any wayward tendancies it may have developed- corners are actually fun... The impact is also less excessive than I was expecting given the size of the bar - I was expecting it to be a bit too agressive but I would say the upgrade is just right - although I haven't pushed the car to the limit or driven very far to see how it behaves.
I would also say that the ride at the rear is a little but harsher, but that's to be expected.
Build quality/design are excellent.

PS - I'm running abbott springs with koni sports.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]caveat is  it does promote oversteer in certain circumstances ...jezf and scareo can attest to this
[/qb][/b]
More to do with my driving than the car oversteering, I think!!

For the short time I had the car before it went off the road (still waiting for brake bits for my 4 pot Brembo's), I was really delighted with the result. On my car, it seriously improved cornering and feel and the LSD seemed to work better than before too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts