Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Was givng the car a once over and noticed that the bushes are goosed, had a look at various sites and noticed that u get 2 sizes 18mm & 19mm, my car is a 94 l 2.0cse eco, which size fits my car and who's would u recommend ?

TIA Haggag01

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
It may be 19mm on the '94. However the easiest test is to take an 18mm open-ended spanner and try to fit it over the bar. If it's a 19mm bar, it will be obvious - no way will an 18mm spanner fit on it. It may be tight on an 18mm bar, but it should fit.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
As to recommendation, I don't think there's a lot to choose, assuming you're talking about polyurethane. I fitted the Superflex ones but I think Powerflex do them too and Abbott definitely do. I can't imagine there's a lot of difference, except price, of course.

Mine are working fine after 50K miles or so.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Bill, spanner check simple car is 19mm, 2 more questions ??
1. the bushes are nut&bolted to an arm connected to the chassis, should their be movement where the arm connects to the chassis? mine has

2. my anti-roll bar has a kink halfway along is this normal, i would have thought it should have been straight ?

TIA Haggag01

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by JohnCC:
[qb]2) This doesn't sound normal!  IIRC mine was straight ... I assume you mean the section between the two bushes?  But let's see what others say... [/qb][/b]
Mine's got a kink (it's not quite straight). I wondered if that was correct or not

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Sorry can't check if there is a Kink in my roll bar for you. My 9k is in at the local garage for an MOT and new anti roll bar bushes the guy at the garage phoned to say that all it needs is a CV boot and the bushes put in The reason I didn't do the bushes myself is when I tried to undo the bolts that hold the bushes in the clamp the head sheared off the first bolt I then sprayed all the other bolts with releasing fluid, tried the next one but it felt like it was going the same way I have no access to heat eg acetylene, so I've left it to the garage to do. So go easy on the clamp bolts
OH!! I fitted powerflex bushes.
Cheers C

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Just did the ARB bushes a couple of weeks ago on my 1993 and it had a slight upward kink in the middle. Wasn't sure if this was normal at the time, or if some twit had jacked it under the ARB in the past...unlikely though so I guessed it was normal.

As for the difference between makes or poly bushes, there is a hell of a difference in price between superflex and powerflex rear arb bushes. This seemed odd at the time as the price of their other bushes was relatively close, while the superflex rear arb bushes were about 3x cheeper. Anyone know the reason for this? I couldn't see anything wrong with the superflex ones I fitted.

Kev

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Haggag01:
[qb]2. my anti-roll bar has a kink halfway along is this normal, i would have thought it should have been straight ?[/qb][/b]
Mine has the kink as well. Yes, the hangers are flexible but I think they are stiff in the direction they need to be during operation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
hi folks im new on the scene and own two crackers a 97 anniv2.3lpt and a 96 900se 2.3 conv. iv also been thinking of changing bushes on anti roll bar on the 9000 is the job easy and where will i get the bushes also i need the sterring rack gaters changed .how important is it to change them and wheres best to get them.
cheers kimo saabi

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by kimosaabi:
[qb]hi folks im new on the scene and own two crackers a 97 anniv2.3lpt and a 96 900se 2.3 conv. iv also been thinking of changing bushes on anti roll bar on the 9000 is the job easy and where will i get the bushes [/qb][/b]
Yes it's an easy job, provided you're not one of the unfortunate ones who sheer a bolt. I did mine in about 20 minutes all in and didn't even need to jack up the car. IIRC there is a 'how to' guide on BillJ'ssite. Elkparts will do the poly bushes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Latest on my Anti Roll Bar Bushes The Garage that does my MOT's replaced them for me and they had to Heat the remaining three clamp bolts to get them out and also drill out the remaining bit of bolt. So Mot'd anti roll bar bushes and it needed a P/s C/V joint/driveshaft boot all done and dusted for £70.00 not too bad for another year of
with my 9K cheers C

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just to add more to this thread. My bar is straight and I fitted superflex bushes about 20k ago. About a month ago i fiitted poly bushes to the hangers, as mine had far to much movement, which I considered would effect roll. I fitted a kit from Supflex, one of their universla ones. There are 2 sixes of hanger bushes fitted, but don't know which size to which model. Mine had the 1" ones, and I purchased the 1/2" ones second hand to enable poly bushes to have minmal movment. Works a treat, far less movement. I plan to replace the rear arb ends next...

93 9000 Aero

1 - 14 of 14 Posts