Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post folks, so in at the deep end.

I'm considering the purchase of a 1990 onwards 2.0ltr eco Automatic (so the wife can enjoy as well ).

The car will be used on a regular commute from Sussex to Berkshire on a weekly basis (50 miles each way) fast A roads mostly.

Can anyone give me their realistic experiences of MPG figures, per mile & per tank full. I've only come across a couple of colleagues who've run 9000's and they have both reported 30ish returns, but need wider clarification.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi autotoda

I've got a 1994 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto and I get between 21MPG (around town) and 34MPG (on motorway), but has been know to get about 38 on a long trip to London. That's if I drive steady, which I normally do, but it's nice to really feel the turbo working sometimes. Mind you having said that I don't really notice much difference in MPG around town if I do boot it about a bit, it probably goes down to about 16MPG (Town) and 26MPG (Motorway). It's a lot better on fuel than I thought it would be.

I travel from Chepstow to Cardiff everyday which is about 38miles and I average about 350-400 miles to a full tank of fuel.

Not sure how this compares to other peoples MPG results

Hope this helps

·
Registered
250 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, autotoda, I'm relatively new here too.

I've been running my 2.3CSE LPT manual '96 for about 2 months now. I do a combination of cross-country commuting plus a bit of town driving (200 miles per week) and twice-monthly runs from Midlands to Kent. That's a good variety of driving conditions and so far it gives me a steady average of 35mpg. But that's 'cos I'm lazy and I don't cane the car (well, except when White Van Man is flirting with the rear bumper)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Welcome to Saabscene, autotoda. I have a '96 CSE 2.0LPT auto and it gives around 22mpg in town and 35mpg on a run. My '94 CSE 2.0LPT manual, in comparison, will give nearer to 27 or 28 mpg in town but still only achieves around 35mpg on a long run.

And I got 42mpg from my tuned 300hp Aero on the way back from Anglesey, with which I'm very chuffed (all down to the higher gearing, I'll bet).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Another data point:

My previous '94 2.3 CSE Auto got about 28mpg mixed (mostly motorway) driving.

My current '97 2.3 CSE auto got about 28.5 until I got the Abbot ECU upgrade. Now it looks like it's going to settle down at about 29.8 (i.e. improved). And it goes like stink, too :)

I met one of Abbott's other customers when I had mine done - he had a '97 2.0 (manual, I think) with Abbott ECU upgrade and averaged about 30mpg.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For practical purposes (and ease of calculation) I reckon 10 l/100 km = roughly 28.5 mpg average in my MY93 2.3T auto, but it will certainly do 8.5 l/100 km (33.5mpg)on a long trip mainly at 75mph. I am not at all disappointed. (But then I do very low mileage.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.