Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Who's the comedian?

If Abbott has done all the work why hasn't it got a genuine dyno reading, I've never seen a dyno at Abbotts though even though they advertise as having an 'In house' one.
When I bought my car it had thousands of ££££ of Abbott bills and was advertised at 300hp but when I spoke to Abbott they reckoned about 240hp!
I would say the owner has added all the hp gains from each Abbott item and got approx 300hp.
I just need my suspension sorting now and as its got 336hp (genuine) it must be worth about the same then.....ono!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Some people really are totally unrealistic with what they expect to sell cars for. That's years older than mine and I would say my car is worth about £5k.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
OK, just had a look at the Abbott site and it is one there for £7750. Apparently, it was the fastest car at Goodwood in 2002.

Still an outragious amount for a old shape non-Carlsson 9000 that probably isn't 300bhp.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I remember the car, it has flared front wings to allow wheel spacers to be fitted. This was done to accomodate 6-pot(!!!) calipers ... can't remember which make. So this car has a lot of bespoke mods and WAS the quickest thing at Goodwood 2002. Although whether it's quicker than ylee's Aeromonster or Mark in Ireland's Carlsson is open to question.

It's fair to say that to get my 1992 2.3T up to the same standard I'd be looking at the thick end of £10K (on top of what I've already spent). Still, I wouldn't want to pay an effective £6K for someone elses mods, some of which may be getting near the end of their life.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I presume we are talking of this car?

It was the fastest car /john and I timed, but it's not as though we were timing every lap, nor even every car. I reckon most of it's speed was down to the driver rather than the car.
Thinking about it now, why does it require some rather dubious mods to the front wings for the calipers when Jez and Mark can run just with the correct alloys??
Nick.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
It was the fastest car /john and I timed, but it's not as though we were timing every lap, nor even every car. I reckon most of it's speed was down to the driver rather than the car.[/b]
He was able to convincingly out-accelerate anyone when exiting the chicane, proving his car's acceleration was mighty. But, he was a very useful driver as well.

Thinking about it now, why does it require some rather dubious mods to the front wings for the calipers when Jez and Mark can run just with the correct alloys??[/b]
Indeed, wheel spacers are not a good idea really.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
As far as I am aware, I don't run spacers, so maybe the setup was different on old 9000's?

Re speed, I guess that often depends how good a driver your are (no way do I put myself in a 'good' category!) and the good ones are exiting corners at far higher speed. I'm sure that this car would get totally toasted by any Maptun/Speedparts Stage 4+ car in a straigh line.

8 grand is way over value - I'd be thinking at least half that.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by JezmondTutu:
[qb]As far as I am aware, I don't run spacers, so maybe the setup was different on old 9000's? [/qb][/b]
No, the reason why that had had spacers was so that big calipers could be fitted behind Avez-A wheels. The 9000CC's and 9000CD's (pre-facelift) could also take a flat-fronted design wheel in order to accomodate the calipers, they would just need to run a lower profile tyre as the arches are smaller on older cars.

IMO cdcarlsson is correct in saying that the proper solution (i.e. ignoring asthetics to some degree) is to fit alloys which can accomodate the bigger calipers.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The Tar-Ox 6-pot application for the 9000 is advertised as requiring spacers. The car/driver was indeed quick. Do you remember what lap times he was getting, Nick? I know I was well behind him (and many others!) but then it was my first ever track day.

I can't imagine the car is worth that, though. It does have some unusual features - I'm pretty sure that's the one with the manual transmission oil cooler.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Surely this sort of thing really belongs in the car park

Anyway answering some Q's:

Yes, it is the one with the box oil cooler.

Jez, I don't see what your problem with the power estimation is. It's a similar mechanical configuration to mine.

It's speed was down to driver and car.

The car is in very good condition inside and out.

Abbott have a dyno cell for development, not a RR for power readings.

I'm not sure it had spacers as such- I wonder where the wheels a special offset or was something done to the hub? I doubt, given the attention to detail on other aspects of the car,that something as crude as spacers would have been used.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I can't remember an exact time now Bill (lucky to remember anything these days
), but I seem to think that he wasn't light years ahead of others. Goodwood is a fast flowing circuit with the big stop for the chicane, an awful lot of time is made up by having the courage (and skill) to take on the faster corners.
Nick.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
The guy who owns it is in his early 60s, owns a 911 GT2 (type 993) and a Ferrari 456 as well IIRC.

He's a very handy driver because it's his hobby to run trackdays with the GT2 (which is also abbott chassis fettled) and the 9000.

He chose the AZEFs because he liked them, he could have gone with other alloys to accommodate the 6 pot tarrox calipers that are fitted.

p.s. The car is also fitted with an MBC and has extensive engine mods. The guy could afford it!

Photos of it here : http://homepage.mac.com/markcanderson/ring...otoAlbum48.html

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I don't see what the problem is here. Of course there is a rather limited market market for such a car - but I can imagine it is worth something pretty close to what he's asking to the right person. Try and build a proper fast Saab properly if you don't believe me. The agreed value on mine has been adjusted to 15,000 euro (a shade over £10K) recently, and were I to sell it, half that would be absolute rock bottom. Hey, it's even that or spend in excess of 20,000 euro to build one to the same spec...

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't think I've heard a very convincing case about why this CC bodied vehicle should be worth very much - certainly not £5995. The engine modifications (if you can call them that) look like they belong in a museum, along with a stone axe. I'm sure if this driver had used a CS bodied 9000, with a properly staged MapTun, or Hirsch software, and with a similar suspension and brakes, he would have turned in much quicker times. I think I can say this with a reasonable degree of certainty because I have used the same drivetrain ('98 B234R) with the same hardware and software in two different 9000's - a '94 CS and a '92 CC. IIRC, the CC is a bit heavier, and with the Aero seats I had installed, even more so. So, when I took the engine out of the CC and installed it in the CS, I noticed that the car felt much faster - I never did any timed comparison, but the sensation was quite pronounced.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like!!! The pearl white on that 9000 is an exquisit color. I have always loved those shelby rims..... I wish I had some on my 900..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts