Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]I believe the water pump shaft is a good place to start. [/qb][/b]
Unfortunately it's on the driver's side on a 9k, and outside the "capture area" of the tray IIRC.

Sounds like it may be a split in the top rad hose Ben.

Look for tell tale marks of drying coolant on surfaces to give you an indication where it's coming from. Generally speaking, they will taper towards the source of the leak.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the advice Mark. I'll have another look when I get a chance, maybe late tomorrow evening or friday evening. I had a good look at the top hose this evening, and gave it a good squeeze and couldn't see/feel anything apart from hot rubber!

I may even have a quick look tomorrow morning before heading to Heathrow at 5am. Or maybe not.

Are the radiators prone to splitting anywhere? Any known weak points? It can't be damage from stones coming through the rad grille since they would have to get through the intercooler and the A/C condenser to get to the radiator!!!

Ho hum.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Also run your hand down the back of the turbo coolant pipes - the side not visible - to feel for any wetness. My CSE was losing coolant too and I didn't find the cause until it became really bad and hot water was squirting onto the block, producing a lot of steam. The pipes had corroded. I had a secondhand turbo complete with pipes so I replaced them, along with the oil feed pipe, which had also badly corroded.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Mine leaks from the join between the metal core and the plastic ends of the radiator and drips down the exact same place as yours. It is not easy to see where it comes out as it tracks down the join between the two materals. It tends to leak most a minute of two after the engine has been turned off after being driven hard. I think at these times the water actually gets hotter than it does when run stationary with the fan kicking in. I guess it takes a while for the intense heat generated in the turbo and the cylenders to diffuse out and boil the local water rather than being cooled as it would in a running engine.

Do you have a coloured antifreeze in the system? I tracked mine back by folowing a tiny trail of dried pink antifreeze.

Kev

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mine leaks from the join between the metal core and the plastic ends of the radiator

Exactly where my mysterious leak was!! Bugged me for months until I found it. Only remedyis radiator replacement, unfortunately. I've seen some good-looking rads for sale recently on e-Bay, you might try there for a cheaper fix.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had a good look last night, and only 1 of the 6 bolts holding the centre section of the undertray was siezed! Amazing...

Anyway, I couldn't for the life of me see where it might be leaking. I had a good look at the turbo coolant pipes (thanks Bill) and although it looks pretty manky didn't show obvious signs of coolant. But I'll get that replaced soon (not right now since I'm off on holiday tomorrow!).

Once the turbo coolant pipe is fixed and taken out of the equation I might get to see if it is leaking down the edge of the radiator (thanks for the suggestion Kev and Stephen) but in the meantime I'll keep topping it up as necessary.

Cheers.
Ben.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Originally posted by Stephen Brown:
[qb]"Mine leaks from the join between the metal core and the plastic ends of the radiator"

Exactly where my mysterious leak was!! Bugged me for months until I found it. Only remedyis radiator replacement, unfortunately. I've seen some good-looking rads for sale recently on e-Bay, you might try there for a cheaper fix. [/qb][/b]
So I survived my holiday by putting a half pint of coolant in every day, but I found out where the leak is - the join between the metal core of the rad and the plastic ends. Now, this seems to me a slightly daft thing, since the metal and plastic are going to behave differently when they get hot and cold, so the join is always going to be a weak point.

Anyway, I obviously need a new radiator. The original one is a Blackstone. Am I likely to find something suitable from a different manufacturer or do I need to find one identical to the existing one?

Cheers,

Ben.

p.s. anyone got a rear-ended 9000 with a spare radiator going cheap!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I'm toying with the idea of taking my old leaky radiator and grinding out the crimps that grip the metal core to the plastic ends,and then seeing if I can attach small DIY G-crimps all around the edge to reseal the whole thing again using a DIY cut-to-fit gasket.

Has anyone else ried replairing their leaky radiators?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Kev, is your leaky radiator in the car, or is it a spare you might sacrifice in the pursuit of DIY experimentation?

I had wondered if going round the radiator and giving all of the crimps a damn good squeeze would do any good.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hi Ben
I have one leaky one that has been removed from the car, one leaky one on the car that is the replacement for the first leaky one, and a third replacement one to go into the car to provide future leaks

The first leaky one that is out of the car is the one I'd experiment with. There is a place near here that repairs HGV rad's who said they would re crimp the rad' for abotu £40. Didn't fancy that much and sort of think that the gasket will be contamianted with gunk from the coolant and might need replacing anyway. Hence my thinking about dismantling and replacing the gasket and using mini-bolt-brackets to pull the whole thing back together again. The nice thing about these would be that if a leak appears then the nearest clamp could be tightned down a little in situ. Or if another major leak occurs then the gasket could be replaced again.

Kev

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
You could try the better of the two cooling system sealers made by Wurth called Radiator Seal HP. It's worked a treat in my car, and is specifically designed for modern cooling systems and cross flow rads. Probably "Wurth" it (sorry, couldn't resist) before you start many hours work. If you can't get it locally, send me a PM as I can get it near here.

Wurth's website.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Kev, is your third radiator a second hand one, or a new one? I'm wary of getting a second hand one in case it gives up the ghost in the near future. Presumably GSF, ECP and the other usual suspects are the places to try for a new one?
I was going to bring the latest copy of "Driver" in to the office today and try phoning some of the other folk who advertise in there. But I forgot!

MarkB, sounds like you might have something to add to the Radweld/radiator additives debate!

Cheers,
Ben.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, based on my registration number Eurocarparts think my car is a CD Aero. I also gave them the part number on the existing radiator (currently in my CS Aero) this number comes up witha radiator for a CD. Hmmm. For 115 quid + VAT I think I'd want to be sure I had the right part!

GSF quoted me 82 quid + VAT for a replacement, either Valeo or Nissen. Has anyone had either of these makes? Are they any good?

Cheers,
Ben.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.