Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
All,

Following the interest generated on here by the Ultimate Saab Day I'm pleased to be able to announce that the date is now confirmed as Sunday the 28th November and will consist of one hours practice in the morning and one hours testing in the afternoon where measurements will be taken and collated. The day will run from 9am - 4pm. The website has been updated please take a look at www.faulksperformance.com/usd

The total cost for the day will be £100 +VAT payable directly to Bruntingthorpe Control at end of the day. If we can get a few more cars in we should be able to get discount equal to the VAT. For those not wishing to participate in either the testing or practice session you can book one hours track time in the morning or afternoon for £50 +VAT.

Due to insurance limitations there are no spectator places, however there are non-driver places for those involved with the running of the event or similar. Basically if your on the list bring a camera and we'll make sure your on the Media list :lol: Therefore spectator places aren't limited (within reason i.e. no more than 25 non-driver cars and 50 non-drivers) but we could still do with knowing your name and what "you'll be" on the day before hand so we can make sure you can get in on the day!

I'd still love a couple of 9-3's and/or another 9-5 to attend on the day if you have a suitable car please get in touch with us!

Best Regards
Matt Faulks

·
Registered
453 Posts
tempted by the track time, I must admit!

As a track day virgin it would be interesting to stretch the car's legs properly with a bit of runoff and no speed limit! Is Bruntingthorpe hard on tyres?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
For further clarification: USD could be considered what has become of the proposed 'European Viking Challenge' discussed on here. Matt obviously has put a lot of work into realizing something that's workable from an organization perspective, enjoyable for all participants and bound to raise the profile of the Saab performance community, all in one go. I for one am quite excited about the recent developments, and would suggest to everyone who has registered interest in the Viking Challenge proposal to sign up for this event, and spread the word within the Saab community. Hopefully it will mark the start of a great tradition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just an update. The site can now be found at www.ultimatesaabday.com.

Fliptopbin - Turn 1 car shred tyres as its easy to take it at 100mph+, the surface is course and will scrub the edges but obviously the amount of wear you pick up on the day is dependant on how hard you push through the corners, if you just fancy stretching its legs during practice up the runway you'll barely put a mark on them

Matt

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by fliptopbin:
[qb]tempted by the track time, I must admit!

As a track day virgin it would be interesting to stretch the car's legs properly with a bit of runoff and no speed limit!  Is Bruntingthorpe hard on tyres? [/qb][/b]
This is what spare wheels are for I might even have a set of genuine minilite's by then Then go buy some part worn's for about £20 a corner and bob's you're uncle

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm up provisionally. I'd like to do both sesssions, but may have to limit it to the practice only, if I can go on at all. Depends mostly on finance at the moment - and as the local to work sub station literally exploded today, I only had a half day at work today and may not be in at all tomorrow Boo for temping!

However, another step towards getting it ready for track use arrived today:

Over 900 CFM of airflow apparently. Should hopefully keep the engine temp nearer normal! A big up for rally design! They're price with delivery, VAT and a £1 elbow fitting to screw into the dump valve came to LESS than Demon Tweak's price for just the fan and controller

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Originally posted by fliptopbin:
[qb]tempted by the track time, I must admit!

As a track day virgin it would be interesting to stretch the car's legs properly with a bit of runoff and no speed limit!  Is Bruntingthorpe hard on tyres? [/qb][/b]
It seemed that way when I was there with the Elise bunch (SELOC) in the summer. New tyres were blistering after one session. Mind you, these were free test ones, so I think the driver was a bit harder on them that if they had been his own. Good circuit, though.

I'm not sure how much of a power cisruit it is, but then perhaps that depends on what bits they are laying out on the day.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
OK, please ignore part of the above as the big straight was not part of the trackday circuit.

We did all drive down the straight for a charity record (most number of Lotus's etc) and it was very straight and very long!!

Would love to see what my 9k could do in a straight line - I have calculated at low 160s, but who knows? I await everyones results with a great deal of interest!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts