Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent and hour or so this morning coldly fighting the headlights on the CS and 9000 doing a Vision Plus bulb change. Boy those offside lights are a tight fit.

I thought the old bulbs in the CS were ring Xenon ones, but what came out was 2* philips PR and 2* narva. Does anyone know who Ring use?

I'm now waiting for it to get dark

Also started the re-pipeing the CS with Blue silicone hose but have now run out with the MAP sensor, TCS release and Boost guage still to do (that was 3.75m). as it is, the recirc dump valve piece is to tight, so probably another 2m needed.

Effect so far is just the same as before (as expected) but without having to tie wrap the world. although I have noticed that I can't here the RDV pppptchung'ing as much now.

se here.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Andrew, the MAP sensor hose is special. Saab say it is important that it be both the correct length and of the correct material (notice that it isn't the same stuff as the others).

Also, I see you have replace the front upper engine mount with poly. I'll be doing this shortly (I did the rear noe ages ago) - I thought I'd wait until I was doing the drivebelt and unbolt the alternator so I could remove the bracket to work on it out of the car. Otherwise, I'd just try replacing it in-situ. How did you do it?

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bill,

You will not change the front in situ (I think).

If you remember, my front bracket was broken, but even getting the new bush pushed in was a devil with it off the car.

it was just too big for my vice, so I used:-

1 15" saab rim (inside edge)
1 1.5 ton bottle jack + handle
a few pieces of wood to spread load around rim.
1 bracket
1 poly bush

Or you could saw it in half.

I dought you'd even get the old bush out on the car.

Vibration is a little more at idle - just sympathetic with something in the dash.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Oh, yeah. I remember now

Thanks, Andrew. I'll take it out then. I think my vice is big enough. I'll check first, though.

Originally posted by Scaero owner:
[qb]Vibration is a little more at idle - just sympathetic with something in the dash.[/qb][/b]
There seems to be a lot of things in sympathy with my dash, including every bump in the road...

I'm not too worried about noise and vibration in the Aero any more. My CSE is whisper-quiet and that's what I use for long journeys these days, so the Aero can make as much noise as it likes, within reason.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Oddly enough, I know of two cars where the front bush has been done in situ.

One was actually surprisingly loose (perhaps untight would be a better word) and came out with a bit of persuasion. The other was attacked with a hack saw, and once a cut was made in the surround it came out easily.

The new ones went in easily too but they were Abbot two piece ones. There's no real reason why yours couldn't become two piece ones though...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Mark B:
[qb]The other was attacked with a hack saw, and once a cut was made in the surround it came out easily.[/qb][/b]
That's how I removed the rear one. If I decide to try it in-situ, I have a big G-clamp that would probably fit there quite well to press in the new one.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by gelcoat:
[qb]Bill how do you get it whisper quiet, at present you can feel every bump in the road, and even the change in sound from different road surfaces [/qb][/b]
Dunno. It's a '95 9000 CSE 2.0LPT. The suspension is quite soft and wheels are 15". I recently chose the tyres (Dunlop SP Sport 01) specifically for low noise. "Whisper quiet" might be an exaggeration, but it is very quiet and comfortable, certainly compared to the Aero. I reckon it could do with new shocks, though.

In contrast, my '96 CSE auto (that my dad drives) is rather noisier and rougher over bumps. It has cheap performance tyres on it, which might not help, but I think the springs are stiffer too.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
[qb]You will not change the front in situ (I think).[/qb][/b]
I think you were right. After faffing about trying to get the old one out, I opted to remove it from the car. Shrewdly, I'd decided to do the drivebelt and tensioner pulley a the same time, just in case I'd need to shift the alternator.

Well, what a jolly tricky task that turned out to be, chaps. Not exactly what I was saying at the time, of course. Still, it was well worth it. Since having the Abbott gearbox mounting fitted, the upper mount has been taking a heck of a bashing, with the engine moving around all over the place and amplifying alarmingly the judder from the racing clutch and any wheel-tramp, not to mention vibrating the downpipe loose and causing it to blow at the turbo.

Definitely more vibration at idle. Very noticeable in my case. What I didn't expect, though, was a lot more exhaust noise from the JT. Outside the car, it seems to sound the same, but inside, it's definitely a lot louder.

It all feels a lot tighter now, though. New gear lever bushes tomorrow should help a lot too.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
so the gearbox bush makes a difference then bill ?
Mine is just about shot and I do get a lot of tramps ...
this should tighten things up then ?
the plan is to change this and all the other bushes (but not the hydraulic ones) when I change to koni's
I am surprised to hear you are getting these gentlemen visiting you as well as you have done most of the bushes apart from the engine ones
I guess you have to do them all to get total harmony !!

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Well, I used to get wheel-tramp when the car was standard, but only with very grippy tyres fitted. Fitting the Konis/springs/poly bushes got rid of it and even after upping the power, it was fine. It is only since Abbott fitted the LSD/final drive/gearbox mount that it has come back, and it was really severe. This left the front upper mount being the only one that wasn't modified (apart from the hydraulic mounts) and I could see that it was taking a lot of strain and would fail in the near future. I also noticed it could be quite jerky at low speeds.

All that is gone now, although I still get some wheel-tramp, which no longer feels as if it's going to shake the car to bits.

·
Registered
623 Posts
You will not change the front in situ (I think).[/b]
I changed mine. My father prepared me with a lathe an extractor tool (two pipes of the right diameter, a threaded rod, a nut and a threaded piece of plain iron. Two minuts to take pout the old and one minut to fit the new one (OEM).
Yes, it was tapered, it preferes one way.

To pull out the other bushing, the fender one, I just used a vice. It was very easy, the trick was just about how to put the bracket into the vice. Twenty minuts job.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Stefano:
[qb] QUOTE
You will not change the front in situ (I think).[/b]
My father prepared me with a lathe an extractor tool (two pipes of the right diameter, a threaded rod, a nut and a threaded piece of plain iron.[/qb][/b][/quote]I believe there is a special Saab tool for this job to do it in-situ. I didn't have one.

Yes, it would only move one way.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes, there'a Saab special tool to do it, and it costs about 75 dollars in s, IIRC. But this tool has nothing special, since my daddy could build one for me.

It's very simple, just two pipies, one big enough to allow the other to go into the first, a threaded bar, a nut and something thereaded (I used 8mm) at the opposite side (I had to use something very thin because the fender was in the way, so I used a threaded piece of 1X2 cm bar)

That's all, and I saved the equivalent of 75$

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spent and hour or so this morning coldly fighting the headlights on the CS and 9000 doing a Vision Plus bulb change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Andrew, what do you think of them?  [/b]
Bill,

I've found that the dipped beam is a lot better. It seems to fill in better although it took a day or two to get used to the change in beam colour.

Main beam doesn't seem to be drastically different.

This is mainly ferom the H4's on the carlsson, where MB is supplimented by the H3 driving lamps.

I've not yet done much night driving in the Aero.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.