Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
This happens seems to happen year on year with Saab - a £30k+ car and less spec than the year before 02 to 03 the luggage net and warning triangle disappeared, 03 to 04 Aeros lost a whole pile of kit.

I know I have said it before but its like someone in GM has a vindictive bent on Saab. So sad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just been talking to a Swedish bloke who said the Swedish press were worried about Saab. "They are now at the point where there is no unique point than means it has to be built in Sweden, so they could built it in any GM factory." They think it is well on the way to being just a badged Opel. He also mentioned the Subaru thing with the 9-2X, but personally think that could be a good thing as at least Subarus have character compared to some other GM products.

On a slightly different tack, the current promo in Sweden for a 9-5 is the sat-nav based package for under 10000 SEK, or about £750. Looks like they have realised the normal price is well out of line with reality!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Steve R:
[qb]"They are now at the point where there is no unique point than means it has to be built in Sweden, so they could built it in any GM factory." [/qb][/b]
Well it's already happening, the 9-3SS ragtop is made in Austria and now the 9-2X thing in Japan..
At least the previous Saab's that have been made outside Sweden were still made in Scandanavia at the Valmet plant in Finland.
Plus of course the next generation Saab won't even be designed in Sweden, but at the Opel design centre in Russelsheim...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] "They are now at the point where there is no unique point than means it has to be built in Sweden, so they could built it in any GM factory." [/qb][/b]
At least the previous Saab's that have been made outside Sweden were still made in Scandanavia at the Valmet plant in Finland.
............ [/qb][/b][/quote]Like the Belgian ones from the late 70's / early 80's??

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Scaero (Maptun stg3):
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by aeropilot:
[qb]  
[qb] "They are now at the point where there is no unique point than means it has to be built in Sweden, so they could built it in any GM factory." [/qb][/b]
............ [/qb][/b]
Like the Belgian ones from the late 70's / early 80's??
[/qb][/b][/quote]

Belgian ones...please enlighten me.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Swedish press were meaning that it was now at the point that NO Saab needed to be built in Sweden, they recognise that there were some in the past, like Volvo / Renault were in the 70 - 90's, but it was a sad time that meant that a "Swedish car" could be imported.

The same man I talked to was very suprised when I mentioned that the latest diesel was of Italian origin - but happy that at least it was not an Opel. When I said my diesel was of Isuzu origin he then laughed!

Going slightly off subject slightly, I am in Sweden with my 3.0TiD at the moment and have not seen any other 3.0TiD's. There is the odd private 2.2, and taxi's use the 2.2, but would you beleive that the second most common taxi I see is the Aero estate! I think the taxi drivers must have one wicked sense of humour.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well it's all to do with global markets and productions etc - there are a nice few touches on my 04 95- but todate I prefer my 1996 900 2.5V6 - more reliable and I had no [expletive deleted] with it - but saying that - that engine came from the Ellesmere port Factory up North!

Just like most cars now- a saab is no more a real saab - only in name - although my local dealer is great - the rest is a complete farce and shambles - from the so called customer care call centre down to the people who mail out the wrong brochures!

It's a real shame - This is my 4th saab from new - and after my 95 - I think this will be my last.

It maybe different if you buy a second hand 95 - but when buying from new it seems that you are buying from a "faceless non caring useless - nobody knows what is going on - dictated to by the faceless people from the ivory tower"

GM are really screwing up Saab !

It's like buying a car from BT!

·
Registered
218 Posts
We have just bought an 05 9-5 2.2TiD Linear Sport and found the roof bars deleted, a £70 option.
They have also deleted the headlamp wash (can't work out how much of an option that is). The funniest thing is that our dealer tells us Saab have deleted the ash trays and want £50 as an option. The problem is that Saab will not sell you a UK spec car without ashtrays so dealers are having to pick that £50 up.
£50 for ashtrays! Will Saab turn into BMW and want extra money for wheels?

Duncan

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think Saab have a real dilema with positioning/pricing the 95 at the moment.

They have to keep pricing competitive against say the BMW 5 Series and Audi A6 as it is an ancient model compared with those.

Yet if they tighten pricing/spec too much it could easily eat into potential 93SS sales.

The route they seem to have taken is to play with the spec to differentiate it but this in turn has started to make it look uncompetitive.

Usually, as we all know, manufacturers undertake what is known as 'distress marketing' as a model nears the end of its life cycle - that is, piling on the 'toys' each year, in the final three or so years of the model cycle.

But Saab don't seem to be playing this game with the 95

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
They added all the toys in 02, maybe they thought there was a new model coming soon. When it didn't appear perhaps they took all the stuff out again so they could start adding it once more before the new model finally comes out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
While I would be the last person to assert that a fine car couldn't be built anywhere but in Sweden, our first new SAAB was a 1975 99LE two-door of the infamous Belgian (Mechelen, I believe) vintage. We were lucky- we had the car for 9 years and sold it with 95K mi. on it. I saw the person who bought it a few years later, and he invited me to look at the car. The paint was coming off in sheets, right down to the bare steel. I later learned that this was all too common with the Belgian cars. Luckily, our subseqent SAABs have, for the most part, fared better....well, there was the one that burned up in a parking garage, but that's another story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.