Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Aero Water Pump

I replaced the water pump on my 2.3T recently. Not because it was leaking or making a noise but because the bearing was worn, allowing the belt pulley to wobble and throw the belt off. replacement was pretty straightforward except for removal of the water pipe to the turbo. No way could I get access to the banjo bolt to undo it. A curved ring spanner might have done it but I didn't have one and the Lambda probe got in the way of everything else. I ended up undoing the 3 down pipe bolts and the bracket at the back of the cat. This allowed the pipe to swing down out of the way giving plenty of access. Re-assembly was simply the reverse process.
With regard to the belt, threre are 2 pulleys both different sizes. Europarts website is not very clear about these. I had to ring them up to get the right bits.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would replace both pulleys at the same time as the waterpump repair. The new seals that you get within the box utilise wether they are worn / split. If you have got this far why not.

The job is simple enough to do 3-4 10mm bolts on the w/pump pulley ( undo prior to belt removal ) 3 x 13mm bolts hold the pump to the block and a 10mm bolt holding the by-pass pipe.

A tool is reqd to compress the tensioner for belt removal. Leon should be able to supply the part no or I am sure previous postings this has been mentioned

Dont remove the inner wheel arch liner all can be done within engine bay.

NOTE:- The pulley on the tensioner is left hand thread

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by ScottD:
[qb]Dont remove the inner wheel arch liner all can be done within engine bay.[/qb][/b]
Glad to hear it's that easy on the 2.3 . I did this on my first 9000, an '87 2.0T, and couldn't get the wheel-arch liner off. It was a right bu66er to do from within the engine bay, and took me two long dark winter evenings.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed that you can replace the water pump without removing the wheel arch liner but it would be extremely difficult to replace the belt and pulleys with the liner in place. I'd be very surprised if anyone could re-thread the belt over all the pulleys with the liner in place.
Anyway removing the liners on late model 9000s is eay enough. The nuts securing the wheel arch trim are stainless and come off easily enough. The ones at the front into the undertray can admittedly be rusted in to the captive nuts which spin when you try to unscrew them but if these come out OK the liners can be got off in less than 10 minutes and make the job an awful lot easier,

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Russ,
I have just done this job on my '95 LPT and found it pretty straight forward. The pump I bought from [email protected] came without a new pulley so I had to fit the one from the old pump. Very easy, 3 or 4 small bolts. I didn't bother with taking off the wheel arch cover and like Derek found only the 'Jubilee' clip on the hose to be a problem. A 7mm socket on a long extension solved that.
I unbolted the A/C pump to give me enough slack to get the drive belt off and find that it just needs a bit fiddling about to get it back in place again. No special tools requires 'though the Haynes Manual give the dimensions for making one up.
[email protected]

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yes, I agree it's far easier to work on with the liners removed, and whilst you've got them off, you can take the opportunity to check for rust on the brake pipes hidden between the liner and the wheel arch.

(This is my pet gripe at the moment, having nearly killed myself when one burst!
)

You could also take the opportunity to put an extra length of hose on the drain hoses at the back of the wheel arch - they drain onto the (metal) wing and guess what?- it rusts

·
Registered
865 Posts
here is a tip regarding releasing tension on belt.jack car up with trolley jack if possible and place a suitable length hollow pipe on hook part of tensioner,i.e.pipe goes from tensioner to the ground,then slowly let jack down until tension is released from belt/easy peasy;;

·
Registered
100 Posts
To get the bolt out on the tensioner. Slacken the bolt all the way of. Small bar placed on the head and the liner. Push on the bar so the liner moves out remove bolt. Same again , replace bolt. The way I look at it working in a dealer enviorement is to plan the job before you proceed. No matter what the job. Improvise adapt overcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.