Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: 9000s tuning

I believe the best option is to go for an 9000 Aero engine swap (shop at junkyards for one with the rear crashed and untouched front).

Quite a job though, so maybe the best idea is to sell your old banger and buy 9000 Aero, they are REALLY cheap in the UK (less than 5000 quid for MY96-97).

·
Registered
66 Posts
banger i will agree with that but funds dont allow for an aero so i am looking for a turbo any for under £1000 know of any???? as mine has been smashed front and rear in its long life but for now it will do as my mondeo was dying a horrible death. Anyway i am a saab convert now so in the short term either a tune up or a cheap 2.3 or a turbo will do.lol anyway banger whats that all about then

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
2.3 non turbo auto produces 150hp.

With about a further 400 to 600 quid .. you can add about 20HP.. through an open-air filter, a fuel chip and an exhaust.

So-- 1600quid bought a nice comfy car with 165-170hp... OR sell the 9000 2.3i

1000 quid in the bank.. buy a 9000 2.0 or 2.3 Turbo or better still a nice Carlsson.

Standard 2.3 turbo has 200hp off the bat. Whack a 3'' downpipe on it. cat by-pass it, boost gauge and add an MBC and turn the boost up to 1.3bar and run it on 98 super unleaded.. so for around 1200quid - you'd have a 230-240hp nice comfy car! - And just don't get an auto (heavier, don't handle the torque and saps power)

Do the maths.. non turbos are far too expensive to tune when compared with turbos..

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by tristian:
[qb]cheers wanna sell me a turbo car for under #1000      [/qb][/b]
There are plenty of early 2.0 turbo's available, just check on autotrader, you should be able to find a 2.0 turbo in reasonable nick for well under a grand. Maybe a 2.3 if you're lucky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts