Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bill

there's a red 2.3 T CD in your gallery, owner Jason. I think i recognise this car due to the Trent Saab stickers in the back. It was owned by a guy called Trevor Williams and this car was seriously quick but no one could find out why. A police traffic cop test drove it when Trevor owned it and claimed this thing was Porsche quick! Trent Saab also said the same thing.

How is this standard car so fast? any ideas

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Jason is here on Saabscene, and we can't figure out why it's so fast if it is indeed unmodified. Jason and Andrew (Scaero) measured the boost at about 1.5 bar peak - well above standard. Having driven it recently, I can confirm:

1) It is seriously quick (and still smooth and quiet)

2) The boost gauge goes off the scale, which I would expect when peaking at 1.5 bar

It measured 224hp on the rolling road that day, while my CSE 2.0LPT measured 150hp, exactly what Saab claim. This rolling road seems to produce higher than expected torque figures, but Jason't car peaked at around 360lbft. My Aero (rather modified) managed 392, so Jason's car isn't far behind.

Personally, I can't believe it is unmodified. Someone, somewhere along its ownership, must have modified something.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I can confirm it boosts exceeding well for 'just' a CD.

It boosts just like my carlsson, and it the Rolling Road 2 weeks ago boosted and powered to a very similar fashion to "John's" Carlsson.

And to think Jason is looking for a Red box DI/APC for it.......

Andrew

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Bill, I have to say some part of me thought it was a myth, but your test confirms it.

I can only think engine chip myself or was that a bit to early?? Hybrid turbo perhaps?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The turbo looks standard. I'm thinking along the lines of a DI/APC upgrade and probably a fuel map upgrade too.

The standard turbo would explain why the peak torque is high but peak power is not much higher than standard. A bigger turbo would be required to provide the airflow for higher power, but the small turbo could keep the pressure up at lower RPM.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
A police traffic cop test drove it when Trevor owned it and claimed this thing was Porsche quick![/b]
He he, and there was Jason thinking the car only had one careful elderly vicars wife as the previous owner

Sounds like it got a good thrashing

Yeah, Jason took me out in it and yes it is quick, when he said 'its standard honest' I laughed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts