Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought my first Saab, a 9000 CSE and I like it loads but the check engine light is beginning to bug me. It comes on occassionaly when I start the engine and stays on, it then will stay on until I have done a few miles and then eventually go out. It will also occasionaly come on, mid trip and then disappear again. I have tried to count the flashes as mentioned in this forum but it always goes out whenever I try it. Has anyone had this problem before or know of what it could be?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is a Saab 9000 CSE, Its on an L plate so I think its '93. Its the 2 litre non-turbo model. To do the flash check, I am turning the ignition on but not starting the engine and waiting. The really annoying thing is that when I do the test, it always goes out as if there were no problems, but the "check engine" still apears at random times.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
My H reg had a fault when the Check engine light came on when Iwas going down hill using the engine to check my speed. It wouldn't show up if I did a ignition on check. After about 6 months of this it eventually decided to show up on a power up check and it turned out to be the knock sensor. I suspect that sometimes you get a transitory problem which makes the light come on but for some reason it doesn't get remembered by the ECU.

Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many Thanks, good suggestion. I will try doing that at the weekend. It would make sence because when the car idles from cold occasionally the revs drop a bit low. Once it even stalled. Mabe this adds strength to your point that it could be the IAC valve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts