Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
My mate has a 92 2.3T auto which is very nice indeed.
It does, however have a minor problem in that sometimes it will not boost right into the red on the boost gauge (and not pull as hard) where others it will pull like tom cruise in a brothel and the needle will be buried in the red
It seems to boost harder when the boost is gently increased and not boost as hard if you lay your foot flat to the floor.
I have a couple of turbo cars myself and was wondering if it might be a dodgy actuator, or possibly something to do with the hooter valve (and I though blow-off valve sounded stupid .......
) - but I thought the best way to find out would be to ask someone who actually owns the car .......... its not a major problem, but he is pedantic and wants it to boost hard all the time (it doesnt help that hes got a mate with one either ......
)
Mail me or reply on here with any ideas and suggestions - all gratefully received
Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention - he tried a bleed valve on there to get the boost up, but it just hits the fuel cut. Havent tried buggering around with the actuator yet, as variable boost isnt something I associate with mechanical actuators!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
There is another thread currently running about 2.3T auto boxes and their boost levels. which you may find of some use/interest.

Dont forget that boost/performance will be affected by things such as weather conditions - my 2.3T drives much better when its below freezing outside.

And welcome to the board., no doubt Bill will be along soon to answer your questions.

Steve

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
it will pull like tom cruise in a brothel[/b]
Does The Beard know
. (In case Mr Cruise's lawyer's drive SAABs I am not imputing or implying anything with regard to his sexuality ).

Other things to bear in mind (before Bill gets here) are quality of fuel (Optimax is best) , plugs and vacuum hose condition. Also condition of turbo BPV and PCV valve will play their parts. I think you're right to discount the wastegate.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by paulmanchester:
[qb]Had similar problems myself....98% sure it was the solenoid valve....a manual boost valve sorted it. Can you beg,borrow or steal a known working one? [/qb][/b]
Agreed. Classic symptoms of a failing APC solenoid.

Welcome, docwra!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what a nice friendly bunch you all are
I should also have added that I hail from the Nissan 200SX webboard (www.sxoc.com), coz Ive got a modded one of them They are knowledgable car lovers over there too - feel free to pay a visit!
Unfortunately, one of the 200s current modifications includes a rather bent front end from where I got a little too sideways a while back .........

Ive also got a Lancia Delta HF Turbo - also slightly modded, rather like a 180 bhp mini really .......

Right, back to the matter in hand - is the APC solenoid the same on a 2 litre and 2.3 model??
My mates mate has a 2 litre 9000, and we should be able to borrow parts off of that for testing purposes.
The boost doesnt seem to be affected by the weather - its a real intermittent (even in the same journey) thing
Ill be sure to check out the other thread too - once again, cheers guys!!

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yup, they're the same. You could also try your "suspect" one on your mates at the same time to see if it fails on there, although if his is an LPT the difference may not be so noticable.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts