Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I bought a 92 9000 CS around 6 months back and have been well pleased with it.
But recently, all the rain we have had, has shown a problem.
After rainfall, I will go to my car to find water dripping from the interior rear view mirror/sunroof motor console.
I checked the 2 front drain holes in the sunroof housing, but these are free and water is not laying in the front, there is, however, a small amount laying at the sides/rear of the sunroof housing, I assume this is normal after a heavy downpour ?
Thinking the sunroof was not the culprit, I thought about the front windshield rubber, so I sealed all around the top and a little bit down the sides with some silicon, but still the leak persists.
It seems worse when the car is parked on a slope, with the tail high, but this may just be due to this forcing the water to run to the front and spill out from the s/r housing console.
Anyone have any experience with this problem, or would know other places I could check to see were rain is entering, or remedies to try ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
There are four drain holes,one in each corner.Use a piece of curtain wire and make sure they are all completely clear,I have had two cars where the holes were obstructed by algae.

Mike

·
Registered
303 Posts
Should be rear drain holes, they exit behind the rear wheelarch..

I had the same problem, but my sunroof had siezed with corrosion and wouldn't slide, so I just siliconed the thing up..

Also 85-89 Saabs quite often get rust round the roof aperture...(possibly due to people neglecting the drain holes...)

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you get down under the back of the car you should see two half inch pipes exiting the bodywork behind the rear wheel arches at either side of the car (look up near the anti roll bar mounts). On the end of these pipes are rubber boots with a split end. Whip them off quickly and get out of the way as you should have a flood of water pour out, if not poke up the pipe with a piece of wire to clean it. Clean the boots thoroughly and replace. This should solve the roof leak pouring in on the headlining.
Took me three weeks to work that one out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Duncan, I found them but no water came out when I took of the boots, I poked a bit of old wire coathanger up the hoses, but it only traveled about 4 inches and met something very solid, solid enough that it doesn't feel like a blockage, more like part of the car.
Either the channel inside goes round some tight bends, or I have a major blockage.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, just tested it by pouring water into the sunroof recess, and I have no blockage in the sunroof drain channels, it comes out of all the exits as fast as it goes in.
That only leaves the windscreen as the culprit (unless anyone knows different ???), as I have failed to seal it with silicone, I guess the only option is to see if I can find someone to take out the screen, replace the rubber seals, and refit, something tells me that wont be cheap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok just checked tailgate hinges, area is bone dry despite it having been raining on and off all day, so that looks ok.
I rang Autoglass, and they told me the rubbers on the windscreen are cosmetic, in that the screen is sealed via the bonding glue, to refit the original glass they quoted £84 (+vat I assume) but said they couldn't guarantee the windshield would come out whole, which would mean another £306 for a new screen

It looks like I might have to hope it doesn't rain too much, hah! some hope !!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sorry it was nothing as simple as the drain-holes,if you remove the wind-screen trim ,you will probably find,as I did.that there is an amount of corrosion adjacent to the screen,I am not sure if it is caused by a design fault or poor fitting of the screen,removing the screen undamaged is I should think impossible,but the screen will have to come out to cure the rust.On my 92 9K I had holes in at least three places.
If you have comprehensive insurance,your insurance may pay for a nice new screen and seals.

Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
if you're sure its the screen, the local autoglass man will come and refit your glass for approx £35 inc. a new seal and proper bonding gloop.. i've known this done on kit cars etc and worth the charge, you could end up with more leaks or damage the screen wielding it about
btw my last new 9000 aircon screen was £512

HTH

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news ... I have exactly the same problem. It started about 12 months ago. I had it to the garage once, but they didn't know the answer. I was then in conversation with a guy at the SOC Ruby meeting and he'd had the problem, which he said was due to a seal coming apart at the top of the windscreen. "pull the seal up and your see what I mean". I did and lo and behold there was a means (of so it seemed to me) for water to come under the "cosmetic" seal and the top of the windscreen and then tip over into the front of the roof lining. This is only in the area of the switches/mirror.

My cure (at that time) was to stuff the area with Blu-Tack (read on) and push the trim back down on top. And it really seemed to cure the problem, but we didn't have any rain for the next few days ...

The best way to test is simply to run a hose over the centre top of the windscreen, making sure it doesn't go near the sunroof aperture.

The reason I used Blu Tack is beacuse the car was due to have a new windscreen fitted because it was badly chipped; I could also see that there was some small pits of corrosion round the edges. I got the old one taken out, had the rust treated and re-sprayed (there weren't any holes or major areas of rust, just general degradation) and then got the new screen fitted.

Then it started leaking again. I'd parked it at the airport for the rainy week in November and came back to find 1.5" of water in the dust/coin collector under the handbrake, and the rook lining starting to sag due to the humidity. I've now had another 2 new screens fitted and it still leaks. RAC windscreens now say its not their screen or fitting that's leaking because the water would run down the inside of the glass if it were. As far as they were concerend it must be coming in from the sunroof. But the drain holes there are working perfectly well (AFAI can tell, using a watering can test). One warning fropm RAC windscreena, don't poke a coathanger down them, it can sometimes fracture the drain pipe)

I took the car to a SAAB main dealer and they had no knowledge of a generic fault in this area.

I'm now going to wait until a dry day, use the hose test to re-confirm where ingress is taking place, and then fall back on the Blu-Tack solution, if appropriate. BTW, mine's a '91 9000SE

Keith

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input guys.
My plan of action is to remove the rubber and see if I can locate the problem area and silicone it.
A couple of you have removed the rubber, basically can you give me an idiots guide to how its removed /refitted.
I dont want to damage it taking it off so I can't refit it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Have you tried 'Seek & Seal' - it is an old product so I'm not sure if it is still available.

It looks like the 3 in 1 oil can. You squeeze it under the rubber in the area where you think the leak appears and it travels along the rubber for a while till it sets to a semi-liquid state. Tried it on an old car some time ago and it works a treat

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Now here's another thought. Under the sealing strip that runs the lenght of the roof there are, on either side of the car, a pair of holes at the front and rear which are, I would guess, for attaching roof bars. I wonder, if the sealing strip was damaged and water found its way into these holes, where the water would come out? It shouldn't be possible, I know, but any straw in a storm, as those of a mixed metaphor frame of mind are wont to say.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Gassy,sorry to hear your tale of woe,As I work for the RAC I was initialy going to use them,but having been warned off by two independant sources,I used Autoglass.This is what I learned from their fitter,the screen is bonded to a coat of paint,not directly to the metal,if the paint is not repaired and cured properly the new screen will eventualy peel off and allow water in and further rust.
I would suggest having the screen removed and then repairing any damage found,only then having the screen replaced.
I think this corrosion area is going to be the demise of many a good 9000.
One last point,the seal used by Autoglass is SAAB approved and fits a treat,RAC use a general seal .
Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.