Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I’ve got a turbo X and when I bought it in England it had a water leak, I took it to Bell and Covill who said it was at a vent under the rear bumper which they sealed up, they showed me pictures of. But, now I have it in New Zealand, and after the first real rain of the year I found about a centimetre of water in under the subwoofer in the boot / trunk. So, where to start? Has anyone had any luck identifying and solving a problem like this? The carpets don’t seem wet, it doesn’t seem to be leaking in to the main car. I’ve recently stripped down the boot / trunk of my 2001 OG 9-3 to find a leak there and it was easy, it’s easy to get to the metal and see what’s going on but I’m worried that there’s a lot more plastic and carpet there that I might not be able to get to the source of the leak.

Any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have found and fixed the source of the leak, it was the vents tucked in the boot compartment that vent airflow in the moving vehicle - they go between the rear compartment and behind the sides of the bumper, there is one at each side. The LHS one is easy to diagnose as you can see it if you open the rear hatch that holds the rear electrical centre. If you see a leak here you will almost certainly have a leak on the other side too, I found that the rubber around the vent had perished and I removed the vent, sealed up with silicon and replaced. Unfortunately you have to strip the boot lining and the sidewall to get to the rhs one. Also unfortunately although you can pop them out from the inside you have to remove them from the outside. Tip you do not have to remove the bumper the whole way just pull out the relevant side and you can lift the vent unit out easily..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts