Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the Ok from the domestic finance approval supervisor to buy a CD for the car so tonight I took out the radio and checked out the wiring.
I discovered it's a Clarion PU9903A and there is a mass of coloured spaghetti behind it

There are four holes on the radio and two of them have plugs in them (as well as the aerial).
The top connector has 9 thin wires and I am fairly sure they are the speaker outs and the permenant live. The bottom connector has 5 wires, thick black and red (power?), thin brown, green and red (I'm thinking powered aerial, switched live and something else).
There is also a bunch of 10 thick wires which I think come from the amp and go to the speakers(same colours as speaker outs but thicker, plus red and black).

Looking on a car audio site, they say I need a wirind adaptor but the picture of the one I saw doesn't quite look right :
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/advice/cars/saab_9000.html

I suppose the next thing to do is whip out the seat, expose the amp and get a meter on the wires to prove what goes where. That is unless anyone has any experience/knowledge of the wiring.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Happypig,

Sounds like something I found out when I was fitting my kenwood head unit into my 92 9000cs. The connector you have been looking at is the same one I got in order to convert from ISO to Saabs standard.

I assume the unit you want to install has an ISO connector

(which is the square connector on the left (this plugs into the head unit) of the pic the other two are the saab connectors which plug into the car side of wiring)

If so then that connector should be ok for you, it was just a case of plugging in everything for me and it worked straight away. Its a tidy job as it can get pretty nasty with all those wires .

Prehaps some of the other lads can verify this for me.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
the Anniversay contains two standard ISO connectors in the harness that go to the speakers and also provide power. One of the ISOs usually patches straight into the head unit, the other (if its a saab factory fit model) seems to be longer i.e. wider with more connections BUT if you track it back you should find a standard ISO plug/socket combo with some extra wires sneaking off into the loom.

Of course this is in a Anniversary without an extra amp under the seat but I am sure that the wiring harness is standard across all Anniversaries with some extra plugs and sockets in it.

The odd plugs used in the 92 and previous yeards are not used in the later models. I can confirm this as I have both a 92 CSE and a 96 Anniversary sitting outside.

I will try to take some photos showing what I mean and post them this weekend.

Steve

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.

Lokking further into the car audio site, it says the wiring adaptor is for models up to 1993 so maybe it doesn't need one. I have emailed them for advice too.
Thinking about it overnight, I think that the return from the amp is an 8-way plug and the colours are the same as those at the speaker ends so that could be it - is an ISO connector an 8-way jobbie (4x2) ?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The two 8 plug ISO connectors are as follows:

The one with the lug in the center of one end and all pins used is the speaker outputs.

The one with the lug off set at one end is the one with the power.

The 10 plug ISO is Saabs own plug. I suspect that if you have the amp fitted this runs down to the 8 way ISO plug/socket and that is separated to connect the under seat amp in. If there is no amp then these plugs are just joined together giving a direct connection from the speaker outputs on the head unit to the speakers in the dash.

So if you want the amp to work then you need to find the 8 way feed down to that (by following the 10 way cable from the saab head unit) and plug that into the new head unit. If you dont want the apm involved then take the 8 way ISO that you have found as the return from the amp (I guess its a plug and socket connected) and plug that into the head unit.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.