Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying (lamely) to fit the Pioneer multi-CD unit I've acquired from another contributor on these boards. Suprise suprise, I'm having difficulties as I don't have the manual for the unit which is currently fitted to the vehicle, which is a Blaupunkt unit not the OEM one shown in the manual.

Anyway, I removed the glovebox out and had a look around. The head's fixed firm to the front of the dash but I can't see how. Do I need to take the top off the dash as well so I can get a better view? As you might guess this isn't something I'm desperately keen to do.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Jason,

No need to dash off to remove your head!

If you had a pic I could be more precise but I'll hazard a guess anyway...

The head is almost certainly held in a metal sub-chassis, which itself will be held by captive tabs in the DIN slot. It will probably be retained in that slot by a "security" release systyem. From memory the Blaupunkts used the one which requires two u-shaped tools to be pushed in, one each side, which releases the head from the sleeve and can then be pulled out. If you haven't got those tools, either a) they're commonly available fom car accessory shops or B) if you have 4 small enough screwdrivers you could always push them in to the holes simultaneously and then pull the radio out. About 40mm insertion
will do the job I think.

The pic below shows you where the holes are...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah ha, my head has 4 holes in it, 2 on either side (!! ). I may try to fashion something out of a piece of stiff wire, failing that I will buy the appropriate tool.

Cheers matey.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Toby Mack:
[qb]IIRC, coathanger wire is just the right diameter     [/qb][/b]
By jove I do believe the man is right! Hadn't thought of that.

So, 4 ends of coathanger, insert 40mmish then stick your fingers in the tape flap and gently pull

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.. or, since the glove box is out, push?

I'll give it a bash tomorrow. The changer is going in the glove BTW, so I had to remove it anyway in order to feed in the cable for the changer. Which means I will be bodging holes my glove box.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (1992 9000CD 2.3T):
[qb].. or, since the glove box is out, push?      

[/qb][/b]
Nope, unlikely to work.

Get your two sections of U-shaped coat-hanger - or buy the tool for the purpose from Halfords (waste of £2 if you can do it with coathangers) - and insert the two ends of each coat hanger into the holes - you will end up with effectively a loop of metal on each side to help you pull the unit out.

When you push the coat hanger in, it has the effect of releasing a small catch of metal thus allowing unit to be removed. Easy when you know how

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Methinks "push" is correct if, as I am assuming, Neil means that with the glove box out you can push from behind rather than pull from the front

Oeerr Missuss!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NIGHTMARE!!

Aborted installation as the wiring on the terminal blocks didn't marry up at all. The colour coding on the connectors doesn't match the saab color coding at all!

Anyway, put the old head back in, reconnected the battery ... and. Car won't start!! Turned over sluggishly and then stopped. Looks like I've managed to kill the battery or something.

Will have to join the AA I think. I better be able to get this fixed by Monday or I'm going to be stuffed for the trackday.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed a new battery, seems OK now. Phew!

Also, went to Halfords to look for a lead, they do supply one to fit but unfotunately non in stock. Nevermind, it's going to have to wait until after the track day now.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Did you manage to get the old unit out??

If so the rest should be easy. If you wish we could give it a go at Goodwood, bring the unit along. A Halfords is just down the road at Chichester, you'll probably pass it as you exit the A27, it's in the trading estate at the roundabout there.

Nick.

PS. Just remembered a collegue had some trouble sourcing a ISO adaption lead for his 9000. It took him a few visits as I remember...See you there.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, removed no problem. Thing is the old unit didn't have block connectors that would fit the new unit, it had a conversion leads. Guess I panicked a bit, it may be possible to remove the conversion leads and connect the blocks directly into the back of the new unit.

I just got a bit paranoid about connecting things up the wrong way and blowing the ECU or something that would leave me stranded. I didn't get a camera either so I can post any piccies yet. The jobs going to wait until next weekend now anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.