Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 9000CSE 2.0 lt. Recently the radiator fan is permanently on: right from start-up. Engine is not over-heating, there's plenty of water and it's not frozen.
-4c this morning and it's still on !

Anyone any ideas ??

·
Registered
444 Posts
Guess it can only be the thermostatic switch located near the bottom of the radiator on the left as you look at the engine from the front. It must be stuck in the closed position. There is no relay as far as I know and the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual doesn't show one. the switch is pretty accessible but has to be removed with care as they tend to corrode badly and too much force will damage the radiator side 'tank'. Possibly worth giving it a gentle tap to see if it loosens anything.
HTH
Anthony

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would tend to agree with Anthony about the thermo switch. Be sure to make sure it is the radiator fan that is running and not the a/c fan. Also both fans do have a relay, but I've never heard of one of the relays sticking in the "on" position. With the engine relativly cold you can remove one of two wires on the thermo switch and if the fan shuts off then Anthony is correct. If it doesn't shut off then I would not bother to remove the thermo switch with reference to Anthony's warning about radiator damage and start looking elsewhere for the problem. The relays are located in the fuse boxes mounted in the engine compartment. Mine are labeled on the fuse box cover. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice. First chance I have had to investigate further was this week-end. I can read what you write and I can see the picture of the thermostatic switch in the Haynes manual but I can tell you that on my car there is no sign of it whatsoever. The only wires even in the vicinity of the radiator lead from the loom to the fan itself.
I am not blind, stupid (well, not completely) and I am well experienced with working on cars. Could there be another variation ??

re's no connection

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.