Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My K Reg 9000 CDE overheated in traffic the other week. Seems that the cooling fan on the radiator is on the blink. I was quoted 400 quid for a new one fitted which shocked me(!) A Saab dealers got me a used one for 30 quid. My question is, does it matter that my old fan has 6 or 7 fins and my new one only 3 larger ones ? I hope it isn't the wrong one as the garage is 40 miles away (!) Thanks K.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Kelly
At risk of stating the obvious (and upsetting you), but make sure it is indeed the fan, and NOT the thermostat that switches the fan on. Thermostat is screwed into back of radiatior, RHS, 2/3 down. Function can be checked by shorting across two of the contacts of the plug on the engine side (which is essentially what the thermostat does at correct temperature).
My '93 9000CD has a 3-bladed fan behind a Blackstone radiator. Works just fine.
Cheers

·
Registered
188 Posts
Check the wiring, at the fan switch connector these have a habit of corroding inside the grey cover therefore breaking contact I would be suprised if the fan is at fault if the wiring is ok do as pva recomends and short out the wires this will send on the fan this would put the switch at fault

1 - 3 of 3 Posts