Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Snopper SD815 rader Detector, which has saved me many times in the last few years...but I dont have it in my current car (Viggen) or my old 9-3.. WHY ??

Because ALL non GPS rader/laser detectors will not work through that nice Saab Sunfiltering windcreen.

Apparently, there is a section/some sections of the UV filtering windscreen that are not treated and placement of the detector there, will make it do its job, but what section of the windscreen is it ???

Do peopele know this is a problem ??

Do you know where the section of the screen is ?? best guess form Snooper UK Tech support is the area where the rear view mirrior is....

So before you go buying a detector...make sure you know this a problem !. I now have to find the right bit of the screen (if any) or pay £600 for a unit which will work....plus pay the speeding fine, I just got !

DMAN, DAMN, DAMN !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saab has also introduced heat-absorbent glass on the new 900. Its special properties prevent 50 percent of solar heat from reaching the interior. In Saab-conducted climatic wind tunnel tests, heat-absorbent glass decreased interior cooling time after the car had started by 35 percent, which means less work for the Saab 900's climate control system. In addition, only ten percent of solar heat penetrates heat-absorbent glass when the Saab is moving, making the cabin more comfortable for occupants in summer and saving energy by reducing the load on the standard air conditioning system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOTE Detectors installed in vehicles fitted with heat reflective, solar or heat insulating windscreens will give a reduced warning distance due to the screen’s metallic content. Vehicles fitted with standard heated front windscreens, i.e. Ford models with ‘Quickclear’ windscreens, are unaffected. If you have one of the following vehicles, please check with your dealer whether the windscreen is athermic, heat reflective or heat insulating. If your windscreen is athermic, this will affect the performance of all radar and GPS detectors, but don’t worry, because solutions are available! : Renault Laguna, Citroen Xsara / Picasso, Citroen C5, Peugeot ALL MODELS, Vauxhall Zafira

And Saabs..........Yeah and the solution is £600 worth or external unit. !

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Given that radar is on the way out and laser is the predominant detection method a couple of key points:-

1. The laser is supposed to be aimed at a vertical surface and the police tend to favour the numberplate. The laser beam is only half a metre or so wide at the range they can pick you up at so the detector in the windscreen is a pretty useless place.

2. The laser unit will read the speed in 0.3 of a second. One of the snoopers took a second to register a laser warning so by the time you've got the warning, you've already been nicked anyway.

Why not go for a GPS system with an external detector. They're less than £300 already.

You're probably just as well off signing up to www.pepipoo.com and fighting the tickets anyway - more fun!

David.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I was Mr skeptical when it comes to laser detectors
However I have heard tales of "just enough warning" so It could be true
However if A windscreen is filtering IR energy then it will filter the laser signal as well
but ..if it is absorbing then it will not be reflecting so less signal for the laser speed camera
As has been said the strongest reflection come from the lights and numberplate
If these could be made absorbing ...

I may have an Idea....

he he he

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Here's a radical idea: drive within the speed limits, save yourself £600 and save yourself the FPN and the points on your licence

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I read in the Sunday Times that the government are still pursuing the outlawing of radar and laser detectors on the grounds that it infringes on the police forces ability to carry out "covert" investigation.

I'd also say, in all seriousness, that it's better to drive legally than to just try and avoid getting caught. I'm not pretending I always obey the speed limit, but if I get caught then I'll take it on the chin. However, I do appreciate that I don't do many miles in comparison to most people, so I'm less likely to get hit with multiple/concurrent penalties.

There's nothing wrong with the GPS devices that warn of accident blackspots, static cameras and speed limit changes. These devices can be useful driver safety aids IMO.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]Here's a radical idea:  drive within the speed limits, save yourself £600 and save yourself the FPN and the points on your licence    [/qb][/b]
OK, you're right, I know you're right, but where's the fun in that ?

Better still, move out into the sticks and enjoy lots of fun on largely unpoliced roads in a county with no fixed cameras. Oh yeah, and then spend half your life driving to the places you tried to get away from
Doh!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Having just bought a Road Angel, I would say the saftey aspect is very good, and it does help with speed camera, how many of us drive at 35 in a 30 !!!!!

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Fliptop:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] Here's a radical idea:  drive within the speed limits, save yourself £600 and save yourself the FPN and the points on your licence       [/qb][/b]
OK, you're right, I know you're right, but where's the fun in that ?
[/qb][/b][/quote]True! They have had six months to send me the NIP, but that expired yesterday so it looks like I will not get that video of my car afterall

·
Registered
428 Posts
Note re Laser Jammers.

Apparently, if a manned speed trap fails to capture your speed, then a note is made of the registration number & it is entered on a database.

After two failures, you may get a visit fron the BIB, with a view to arresting you for perverting the course of justice.

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.