Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Unfortunately nobody wants NA 9000's. In my experience their obviously slower, thirstier and handle like tanks compared to the turbos. Still for £50 it's worth it for the body panels alone, particularly for someone with a cherised 9000 Carlsson hatch.

Thinking about it, I could ask my old man if he's interested, the folks will need a second car when I'm gone. I'll see what he says.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree that the NA cars are unpopular and are nowhere near as satisfying to drive as a turbo (I have owned both) but it's all down to expectations.

Would you prefer to be smoking around in an old Rover / Granada etc or a Saab? Only downside is the running costs a turbo is no more expensive to run, fuel consumption can be marginally better on a turbo (unless its an auto) and the difference in insurance costs doesn't reflect the increased performance.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
 I agree that the NA cars are unpopular and are nowhere near as satisfying to drive as a turbo (I have owned both) but it's all down to expectations.[/b]
I had a H reg 2.3 9000 and was quite happy with it. OK compared to a 23.FPT it was slower but compared to a 1.6 Cavalier it was the dogs dangly bits... lots of umpphh and it stuck to the road like glue, turned in over 30mpg..

Steve

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Dont hold back Jason (Mr Torque-Steer),some of us have a 9000i and like them, use it for my work and it gets me there and back, i get 30 mpg and and its fast enough for that job, keeps the miles down on my Quattro as well better not let it see this post might hurt its feelings and it will go in the huff with me

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by microcat36:
[qb]Dont hold back Jason (Mr Torque-Steer),some of us have a 9000i and like them, use it for my work and it gets me there and back, i get 30 mpg and and its fast enough for that job, keeps the miles down on my Quattro as well better not let it see this post might hurt its feelings and it will go in the huff with me    [/qb][/b]
Indeed, the 9000i's are fantastic workhorses, certainly less likely to break down than a turbo with TCS, Air Con and all the other bits which cost an arm and a leg to repair.

I've pointed out the above car to my old man but's he's not that keen unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Here's an idea-

How about X number of SaabSceners pay a £2 each towards the car- we find somewhere central to park it and use it as a Saab pool car?

Just have to work out who would tax it and insure it and we are there-Use your 3rd party insurance etc shove in some petrol and always leave a gallon or so...

have had a few to drink so apologies if this is dafter than it sounds

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Nope Foxey, it's not dafter than it sounds .. merely AS daft as it sounds

I think it'd be better if you bought it, and we then borrowed it from you whenever we felt like it. Of course you'd have to deliver it to us ...

Fair nuff?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hang on though, I think we're onto something here.

You could deliver it to us, and then take our cars away to get serviced, valeted or whatever, then bringt them back and drive off again in the "pool'ish" car.

We'd really appreciate that ... you'd get lots of thanks, maybe even a cup of tea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts