Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a ring round last week to get insurance on my 97 Anniversary FPT.

I bought it in June and so I swaped the Frizzel policy onto it. They wanted about £450 so I tried the "quote me happy" lot. They wanted nearly £500 !

Told them where to go but the sales droid kept on plugging the benefits : NCD protection, legal cover, hire car etc.

Next stop Direct Line : £349 (no hire car but as I work at home a lot I barely need a car, let alone a hire car).

I was well pleased to get it under 400 (makes being 40 worthwhile - almost)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
esure is worth a try,but you need a 40% no claims to be considered.  [/b]
Esure appear to be very selective about who they offer quotes to. They wouldn't give me a quote because they said the car was too high a group (9000CSE 2.3 FTP). They would give my wife a quote because they said her car was too old (1994 Fiat Punto). Who do they offer insurance to?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
hehehe....9000 aero, £260 inc. fully comp + legal cover and I'm a youngster at 36. For me it just comes down to the area I now live in (Fife). I used to pay twice that much to insure my 1.8 cavalier in Birmingham.
Thats with Direct line

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
£617, 2.3 LPT CSE Anniv Auto

But that's with an Abbott ECU, in Berkshire, and 30,000 miles/year. So not too bad - it's about £80 more than NU direct was before the modification.

Next: better brakepads (and disks later, perhaps) and 17" wheels. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Interesting thread this.... It has been some while since I had to take out a standard car insurance policy ( co. car plus a few classics)

Do I understand that insurers now ask for annual mileage when quoting for a standard policy... and does it affect the premium ?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by carrera:
[qb]Do I understand that insurers now ask for annual mileage when quoting for a standard policy... and does it affect the premium ? [/qb][/b]
Yes, and considerably. Although (depending on the insurer) they tend to treat anything over 25000 as "one heck of a lot" and charge the same.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just changed from tesco's to "Quote me Happy" I was paying £850 a year, now I am paying £535 !!!

This is with one claim, "third party claim" and Six points.

I have full no claims and make sure they are now protected.

This is on a 2.3 FPT Manual and I am 24.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by turkish:
[qb]I just changed from tesco's to "Quote me Happy" I was paying £850 a year, now I am paying £535 !!!

This is on a 2.3 FPT Manual and I am 24. [/qb][/b]
That is a good deal! I will have to talk to them... Mine is £990 fully comp, and I'm 24 with full no claims, no points. ('96 CSE 2.3 FPT Auto)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Originally posted by slidejules:
[qb] QUOTE
Originally posted by turkish:
[qb] I just changed from tesco's to "Quote me Happy" I was paying £850 a year, now I am paying £535 !!!

This is on a 2.3 FPT Manual and I am 24. [/qb][/b]
That is a good deal! I will have to talk to them... Mine is £990 fully comp, and I'm 24 with full no claims, no points. ('96 CSE 2.3 FPT Auto) [/qb][/b][/quote]I have a '93 CSE 2.3 FPT Auto, the same as yours and I've found that insurance is slightly higher because of the Auto box.

Last year (when I was 24) I was paying £738 a year with Direct Line. It was the cheapest quote I could find with 6 years no claims and with 2 speeding fines in the last 5 years. I also live in a bad post code.

This year (just turned 25), I tried Chris Knott Insurance, who are the official insurance broker for the Saab Owners Club. They beat DL's quote by £30 this year which worked out at £635. Give them a call or visit their website at saab.ownersclubinsurance.com. If you say you saw their advert in the owners club magazine I think they give you an extra discount.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi all,

Just a random postscript to this thread... I'm 25 next week so thought I'd phone around to try and get some insurance quotes a bit cheaper than my current policy with DL. And to my surprise, I could only find one other insurer who would cover me! Big "not likely mate" type messages from esure, NU direct, more than - and tescos gave me a quote of £1650!!!! So I phoned DL and told them I moved house (which I did about 2 months ago) from chertsey to chiswick, dropped the annual mileage from 21,000 to 15,000 (no commute any more woohoo), and my premium went from £990 to a (slightly) more maneageable £810...

So anyway when I asked why they couldn't insure me, they all said too young, and that I'd really need to be 30 to drive a group 17 car... ho hum.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Slidejules -

Weird that DL and Tesco were so far apart as they're part of the same group [RBS, along with Privilege - as /john pointed out recently]. I normally find they're all therefore only a few quid apart.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by NedLudd:
[qb]Slidejules -

Weird that DL and Tesco were so far apart as they're part of the same group [RBS, along with Privilege - as /john pointed out recently]. I normally find they're all therefore only a few quid apart. [/qb][/b]
Hi Ned - yup that is strange. Maybe it's because with the exception of one 12 month period, I have been with direct line for the last 7 years. Perhaps they have some kind of loyalty scheme in addition to the ncd? But you're right it is odd. I just tried another one over my lunch break, endsleigh, their first quote was £2500 (!) but reduced to £1600 when they realised my car wasn't an aero (for some reason my number plate pulls up as an aero on their database). Never mind... well, only 5 years until I'm 30!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
(for some reason my number plate pulls up as an aero on their database)  [/b]
Now ant that funny, Mine came back from DVLC as being an Areo, " But it's only a 2L CS Lpt, Honest".
As for Ins. Companys, well their like 'Female's, you cannot live with them and you cannot do without them, a law to print money. unto themselves, amemn. B%$tards.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts