Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill I'm going to change my car in the next couple of months for an Aero, I have a resonably sorted old 1990 2ltr Carlsson follow link to see spec mpens carly scroll down the page a bit that I thought was reasonably quick, my son's 18 year old mate has just bought a 1998 BMW M3 EVO and its quick.How would you say your car would compare performance wise against an M3?
Mark

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
It's not an easy comparison. A tweaked Carly will probably feel 'quicker' than an Aero, unless, like BillJ or Ylee, it's tweaked with a lower final drive etc. The Aero is carrying more weight and in standard transmission, higher gearing. It seems the latest 9-5 Aero's, even though 250 gee-gees, don't 'feel' as quick as a 9000 Aero, in the same way a Carly 'feels' quicker than a 9000 Aero. Again, this is probably a combination of extra insulation, weight, etc., making the speed deceptive, not to mention years of engine development to make for a smoother more seemless power delivery.
A good mate of mine had a E30 M3 EVO, and a racing collegue had a E36 M3 and the guy with the more powerfull 6 cyl E36 M3 thought that my friend's E30 M3 'felt' quicker, probably because it was lighter, smaller, etc. When I drove his E30 M3, I thought it didn't seem as 'quick' as my own Sunbeam-Lotus, but again this is probably a deception.
As for comparing the M3 will an Aero, well, the engines are completely different, it's always difficult to compare as the 'feel' of turbo 4 cyl through fwd is dramatically different to the 'feel' of a normally aspirated 6 cyl through rwd.
I would say buy the Aero because you want one, rather than whether it's better/faster/sexier than spotty geeks bavarian pimp-mobile......

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Not really sure, Mark. I've never driven a Bee Em. In fact I hadn't even been in one until Christmas when my brother took me out for a ride in his new 320d estate (awful seats, even compared to the worst Saab has to offer). I couldn't find any performance figures for the car you mention from a quick look on the Internet. I can only say that with the lower final drive and LSD, the car is now pretty quick, similar to how the Saturn V was a pretty large firework.

Seriously, though, I only have performance figures from before the transmission work. The standing start figures, which are pretty meaningless in the real world, were 0-60 in something less than 6 seconds (I couldn't really launch it properly) and 0-100 in something like 14 seconds with a really bad launch. 50-70 in 2nd gear happened in 1 or two seconds (can't remember).

The sun's out now, so if it dries up and stays dry, perhaps I'll get a chance to get some new figures. I have some spanner-work to do first, though, while it's not pouring.

Handling-wise, the LSD makes it possible to power through corners amazingly well compared to my previous setup. That might make a difference to the comparison too.

It all depends what aspect of performance you're trying to compare.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Oh, and if anything, the car feels smoother with the lower ratio, contrary to my expectation. And I forgot to mention that the power delivery of the Aero is much smoother than earlier models, especially the 2.0 ones. I undertook an overtaking manoeuvre this morning, blowing past a couple of cars, one of which (a Merc) was accelerating. I only realised how fast I was going when I looked at the speedo coming up to a corner at a speed I'm not going to mention in case MillePlod is reading this. Thinking about it, I could have taken the corner without too much trouble, but I was going far too fast in the eyes of the law and it was raining.

I don't usually do that sort of thing, honest.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by BillJ:
[qb] 50-70 in 2nd gear happened in 1 or two seconds (can't remember).
[/qb][/b]
1 second?? You're 'avin a giraffe! I think you'll find it's a wee bit over 2, but that's still
fast!

Anyway to get back to the M3 question, I went head up against an M3 (MY 2001) earlier this year in a friendly blast down a bit of dual carriageway with a few roundabouts thrown in and I would say we were about equal. The beemer has more power and I would gues a less useable torque range, but is probably slightly lower geared.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
In Theory.....

These are the possible figures for my standard Aero. (using it's 248 bhp and 312 lbft, and dyno curves.

STANDING START ACCELERATION RESULTS

Starting vehicle speed: 0 mph
Starting engine speed: 1600 rpm
Starting gear: 1st

Optimum Shift Points:
1st 6200 rpm @ 35 mph
2nd 5720 rpm @ 63 mph
3rd 5450 rpm @ 90 mph
4th 5310 rpm @ 117 mph

Time to Speed:
0- 30 mph............ 1.7 sec.
0- 40 mph............ 3.1 sec.