Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reliably informed that an ATB diff from a 9000 can be fitted to a classic 900 5-speed gearbox, with some modification. Does anybody out there know of this or maybe they even have one on their classic 900. I have the opportunity to fit a 'proper' plate LSD, but the car will be used quite a lot on the road and i do not want the maintenance issues associated with the plate LSD.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I would doubt it.

There are 3 ATB diffs used in 9000's for the various gearbox designs.

The 900 has a very different diff than tne 9000 and the 9000's power does not need to be turned 90 degrees to get to the road.

Does anyone know how the 900's bevel gear is fitted to the 900 diff?

If it's easy, why hasn't abbott done it?

Andrew

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was abbotts i called about the diff in the first place, as they are the only supplier of quaiffe diffs for Saabs, i was told that they have sold several 9000 atb's to people fitting them to classic 900's, people in Norway and Spain, but they have not fitted one, you would think there would be some sort of demand here in the UK for an atb in a classic 900 or 99.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I

The 900 has a very different diff than tne 9000 and the 9000's power does not need to be turned 90 degrees to get to the road.
Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about what you said (above) the 9000 has a crown wheel and pinion, so the power must be turned 90 degrees to transfer from the pinion to the crown wheel?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[ QUOTE ]
No, as the 9000 CW&P are flat helical gears, the c900 ones are bevel (and preloaded)

Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah right, you were referring to the gear teeth themselves and not the relation between the CW&P.
I don't think that would be an issue with the atb as you usually fit your existing crown wheel to the atb unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts