Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the final gearing for the Viggen? Is it the same as the 9000? More to the point, will an LSD meant for a Viggen work in the 9000? I would think that even if the final drive gear is different in the Viggen, the differential housing/LSD unit would be the same - or is this just wishful thinking? The reason I ask, there is someone selling an Abbott LSD for a Viggen, but I've got a 9000.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I believe the Viggen uses 4.05 or 4.10 gears. So I'm assuming you'd need another part. Even then I'm pretty sure the casing is different. It'd be nice though, maybe there's a way to adapt? Or just get some low gears designed for the 9K.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The LSD has no geraing, it just bolts to the differential gear.

depending on year, you may be able to use the LSD in a 9000. Isn't the '94 on 9000 gearbox the same as the early/all ng900/9-3 gearboxes?

I know abbott list different lsd's for different years, check their site for the exact number for your year and see it the number matches for a ng900/9-3 bar the 1st character.

Andrew

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Andrew is right. The final drive gear bolts onto the diff. However, I do remember that the Quaife catalogue shows umpteen different part numbers for Saab LSDs. I can't find it now, unfortunately, but I'll try to borrow one from a colleague today. From memory, the 9-3 LSD is different from any of the 9000s.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ylee. Gee, the numbers are only off by one digit - I wonder if it's worth giving them a call. I can buy it for 2/3's the original cost and it's never been used. I'm still not convinced that it's really necessary as I've never brought this car on a track and don't really intend to in the immediate future. Most of my driving is interstate highways.....anyway, thanks again!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
the lsd really comes in on the sweeping corners on the motorway /interstate It is hard to describe the feeling but it pulls the car into the corner it feels totally settled and the cars line tightens as you apply more power...so it just flies round..you have to experience it to believe it...
well worth the call !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts