Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
i’m having an issue with my saab. i have a 2005 9-3 aero, and when i went to go start it yesterday, i put the key in, everything was fine. then i went to go start it and i can’t remember exactly, but i’m pretty sure when i switched it to on, the lights in the dashboard went out, and now the key is stuck in the ignition and the car won’t start at all. there’s not sound or anything at all when i try to start it, it just seems totally dead.

i’ve seen some info about a bad ignition switch or a faulty battery disconnect something, and suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey everyone,
i’m having an issue with my saab. i have a 2005 9-3 aero, and when i went to go start it yesterday, i put the key in, everything was fine. then i went to go start it and i can’t remember exactly, but i’m pretty sure when i switched it to on, the lights in the dashboard went out, and now the key is stuck in the ignition and the car won’t start at all. there’s not sound or anything at all when i try to start it, it just seems totally dead.

i’ve seen some info about a bad ignition switch or a faulty battery disconnect something, and suggestions?
Most likely a failing battery. Do the simple checks first.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2003 and later 9-3s are an absolute PITA where power flow is concerned.
The electronics were too segmented and too complicated for most shops, furthermore 'do-it-yourself' group.
I've diagnosed too many now to keep track.
I personally wouldn't own one without first purchasing a TECH2.
Check the easy stuff first as stated above....battery, electrical center, ignition switch, Fuse 4 (at end of dash on driver's side), etc...
If that all checks out, open the center console and look for H33-1 connector.
It is a black connector near the ignition switch.
Probe pins 11 (red wire) it should have battery power (+12V).
It is red /white on the ignition switch side and goes to pin 5 on the switch itself.
if that is okay...go to Pin 13 of H33-1 and check for ground.
Check also for battery power at Pin 1 of the column lock module under the steering column (orange wire).
The CIM, column lock and ignition switch seems to be at the heart of most of the issues for this model.
I am constantly in WIS diagnosing electrical issues for a shop in California on this particular line..
Almost every time my telephone rings now, it is a 2003-2008 9-3 electrical issue to diagnose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts