Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 9-5 TID which I purchased new in Dec 2010. The car always use to start with the depression of the first push on the push button. Recently, it sometimes takes three attempts before it bursts into life. It is intermittant in that sometimes it starts on the first push and sometimes on the third push. When it does not start there is no indications of life at all in terms of sound or vision, it's like I have not pushed the button at all. The battery in the keyless fob seems fine as it opens the car from a distance and the car battery is also reading fine at 14.4V.

Fortunately, it has never let me down (so far) always starting by the third push. However, I am wondering if this is normal or a known problem. If the latter, what is the cause?

I would take it to the SAAB dealer in Southampton UK with whom I have been with for decades and who have always been very helpful. However, they shut down earlier this year.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
hi and welcome,

contact cleaner, disconnect batt, spray down the gap between the botton and surround and press the button lots

ideally remove switch

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response and guidance.

Ideally, I would like to remove the switch as per your suggestion but don't have any instructions for it. Can you advise how it comes away from the surround?

Would spraying WD40 between the surround and switch be an alternative with the battery disconnected (as per your first suggestion)?

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
^^^^agree. wd will not clean the contacts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Haloweenhampster and The Zohan,
Thank you for the guidance. I shall go to Halfords and get some contact cleaner this afternoon to try the "easy" way first.

Also, I can't thank enough for my present! Very much appreciated.

I shall let you know how I get on.
Lawdoc

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
try maplins or local hi fi shop if Halfrauds do not have any.

Contactcleaner evaporates, spray, press button lots, spray again and repeat a few times. Once fully dry treat with a little wd40

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Yeah try contact cleaner - personally I wouldn't be spraying WD40 anywhere near my dash!

If your planning on removing to check the contacts get some bojo's - plastic removal tools. Dont wanna be scratching the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
contact cleaner can damage certain plastics, rubber, paints & coatings so I'lled be more careful with that then the wd40 imo

probably best to use a cloth to catch the excess cleaner thinking about it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the Zohan, Haloweenhampster and Virtualm, Thank you for your guidance. You will be pleased to hear that I used Contact cleaner as suggested by yourselves and the problem has gone away. I have made many short journeys in the past week and not once has my 9-5 failed to respond at the first push. I used the simple way as initially directed by the Zohan. I am delighted particularly as I am driving to Denmark shortly and did not want to find myself stranded at some pull-in because it would not restart. Thank you for your prompt help and guidance.
Lawdoc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts