Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not that sort - the sort that has the car pulling to the right especially on hard acceleration.
The steering didnt feel right, loose around the straight ahead, then I fitted some 16inch wheels with part worn tyres (well 4mm left) and now it pulls to the right quite drastically under acceleration. And before its suggested, no the 16 inch wheels are staying with me. Alignment has been check at one garage but having had bad experience of this before I'm booked into my local friendly Saab dealer for Monday (Bay Horse Saab) - this will be the first time I've ever used a Saab dealer - hope its a good experience.

Any ideas? Car has just passed MOT so bushes should be OK

·
Registered
155 Posts
I know I am a newbie but, this may help! I have only had my 96 'poverty pack' 9000CS for a couple of months but it was pulling to the right. Wheel aligner (new word) says he made slight adjustment to toe in and caster and camber are fine.
No change, car still pulls to right. Wheel aligner with grey hair (very experienced) says must be tyres. (Dunlops Monzas) I was very sceptical! Wheels changed to opposite sides and blow me down, car pulls to left in exactly the same way. This grey hair must have value because the tyres looked very good to me; about 50% + tread!!
So tyres alone can make a difference! I will have to wait a little longer before I buy some non Dunlop tyres.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to up date on a successful outcome. Went to Saab dealer - very nice and polite and clean and all that - BUT - usual we know best sir attitude. Chief technician says tracking spot on (yep hes got that right) then tries to use Tech II to reset my alarm bleeps to be same as our other CSE. After five attemps I suggest he starts from scratch - turn everything off and re-power up - five attempts latter he does just that and bingo TechII now talks to the car (no acknowledgement that I was right). Next off for a spin, tells me that car is not pulling just needs slight correction - I disagree, well set up car should run straight with no steering input (taking into account camber). Then when accelerating bloke says the sharp turn to the right is just torque steer I disagree, have four other turbos and they dont pull to one side only under power. Bloke says they can look at bushes, diff etc but he would leave it. I think yep you can leave it - I'll do it myself thanks. Oh he then asks whether car is a CS or CD and when we get back to the garage he stops the engine by stalling it

Fitted new wishbone bushes, poly anti roll bar bushes, springs from my Carlsson (found original front offside spring to be 180 degs out in relation to the strut), kept original front struts and swapped front wheels. Result no more pulling, runs straight and true. Well if anything there is a slight 'twitch' to the left now under hard acceleration. Car is transformed. Only snag is I changed so many things at once that I've no way of knowing what was the actual problem. Might have to swap wheels back just to see if it was those.

Guess, I'm lucky, as an engineer I can do the work myself. Maybe I just expect too much?

In all other dealings with this Saab dealership they have been exellent though. Will stay open until 6-30ish for me to pick up parts. Always do there best to find the part I want i.e. if it only comes in a kit will see if its used else where and can be supplied seperately. Bought a C900T16S convertible from them and would do so again, very pleasant buying experience.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the same prob on my 89' 2.0 Carlsson. Have 16" wheels allready.I intend to fit polly bushes to wishbone /antiroll bar f&r and do the antiroll drop links also.After that will price up having rack bushes done ( don't think I have the savvy for that as a diy ) I will also replace f&r shocks and springs probably one of those kits from Eurocarparts. I hope this will cure the probs. I do know that the suspension is weak on the nearside so as I haven't had the car too long may as well change the lot. Final act will be to have 17" wheels, but as I have some v/near new tyres on will let them ware a bit b4 that.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keith what sort of 16 inch wheels are on your Carlsson - the multispoke or the three spoke? If three spoke aero with polished rims what condition are they in and would you be selling them?

Good luck with your car - I'd be tempted to just swap the front wheels first (unless directional tyres) to see if that makes a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts