Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started the car this morning it gave out a small cloud of smoke but then went back to its normal smokeless state. I checked the smell of the exhaust fumes and apart from the slight sulphurus smell (which I always get with Esso fuel) it smelt fine - no hint of burning oil or coolant.

Any suggestions?

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sign of coolant loss/excess steam and it didn't do it this morning and everything seems to be fine (the LPT turbo is still running and power and fuel economy are as before)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did it again this morning... a most definite small cloud of blue tinged smoke drifted down the side of the car just after I started it and it was just one small cloud and then it had gone..

I didn't get out to smell it but it looked like oil smoke.

So what could cause a tiny amount of oil to occasionally get into the system and do I need to worry about it (like does it indicate my turbo is going to go bang?)

Steve

·
Registered
413 Posts
Bad, or any, smoke on start-up can be caused by valve stem seals being worn / hardened causing oil to run down into the combustion chambers while the engine is at rest. Will show up more of course after a long, such as overnight, rest.

It could also be worn valve stems / guides.

I'd put my money on the seals being bad. Probably not really a serious problem imho.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Puff of smoke could be caused by worn turbo seals. If your seals are starting to wear, at shutdown, oil will seep out to both the exhaust and press. sides of the turbo and will then be burnedcausing a puff of smoke. After car has sat for 4-6hrs. take off intake pipe and check for oil build up. Can't be sure this is your problem and highly agree with valve assesment as well. Good luck
Alex

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It seems very odd that it has only done it twice in just over a month. I drive to and from work 5 days a week, 120 miles a day, with the car standing outside my flat over night and usually for 8-9 hours at work. If I was getting seepage round the valve seals surely I'd get the problem more?

Yesterday I had done a very short journey (like just over 1 mile) before parking for the night..and that might be true of the last time it did it....

Hmmmmmm

·
Registered
244 Posts
my turbo gives intermittent smoke now, randomly, in traffic. 3,000 miles ago it only gave a puff smoke on start-up. Replacement at the end of the month seems the only cure for my car. Hope this isn't the case for you!

bill

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as I was aware blue smoke on startup usually indicates a worn turbo... maybe I should go into the car park and gun the engine several times to see if it does it again.

As with all things that dont happen all the time its very hard to say what it is...who knows, maybe its something as simple as a blocked oil line or vent pipe..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts