Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Anyone have model with automatic and tuned? I'm looking for about 250hp from 9000CSE 2.3Turbo. So can automatic handle the power&torque or should I find one with a manual transmission? How about fitting Griffin 6 speed transmission? Difficult job or not?

ps. is this right place or should it be performance?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi I have a g plate auto after much looking round on sites and phoning various companys I have been told that 200 bhp is the maximum whithout destroying the auto I hope this is of some help to you

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
ps. is this right place or should it be performance?  [/b]
It will do

I had an Auto which was pretty tuned.. (i.e. a 2.3 TURBO with Abbott ECU, rebuilt engine, complete 3'' sports exhaust, intake, gas flowed head, aircon removed, etc, etc).. recommendation? For a project car always choose the manual!.. in fact choose a manual without TCS (or at least with switchable TCS).

The auto can only reliably handle 295NM of torque... 380 odd NM tends to bend it fast. ... as I found out ...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hello Jeo_Fin. My '91 SE is Auto and runs on Autogas (LPG) - it peaks at 248bhp at about 4,300 revs. I usually treat it quite gently in 1st and 2nd gears. The orginal gearbox failed at 190,000 miles - and that was before I had the power upgraded. It was replaced by a reconditioned gearbox and I then had the power upgraded. I have now done about 85,000 miles on the reconditioned 'box with no problems.

The other answer to your question is that SAAB and their gearbox suppliers calculated that the box could/should handle a maximum of 200bhp, and for many people it is sufficient simply to know that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so will keep my eyes open for SAAB with manual gearbox.
I'm looking for nice family-sedan with enough power to beat wannabe tuning cars. All ideas and comments are welcome.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The ideal car in terms of greatest potential for minimum outlay would be a MY94- non TCS Aero. Failing that, and MY94- 2.3 turbo, LPT or FPT is a good choice. For the little extra expense of upgrading, I might even go so far as to say that an LPT is best, as the gearbox etc, and engine internals should have had an easier life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts