Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am now ready to lift head (after setting TDC) for replacement of head gasket set and timing/balance chains, sprockets, etc on a 9000CSE LPT (B204 Engine). What would be more practical - to get the timing cover off first and replace the chains/sprockets or to get the get the head off first and then replace the bits? Should timing cover go back on before head?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Taking off as above - putting on is a 50:50 call as, from experience, it is quite possible to invent 2 or 3 new swear words if you put the head on first and then knacker the head gasket when you refit the timing cover. If you're careful it should be OK but be warned

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you find on strip down , for my money I would replace the lot , chains, sprockets ,tensioner,and all that goes with it.europarts will make you up a kit.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The parts being replaced are as follows:
Gaskets: rocker cover, head, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold & turbo/manifold metal plate gasket.
New timing and balance shaft chains and all associated sprockets & both tensioners.
Serpentine belt, tensioner pulley & idler pulley.
Thermostat (82 degree SAAB), oil pump o-ring & crankshaft oil seal, water pump o-ring where metal pipe disconnected. PATIENCE and proper tools is the key to the success of this job - still ongoing in my case!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mutungi,are you doing this job with the engine in the frame? i have only done the non balance shaft lump and it has taken weeks for my back to recover,so you have my sympathy.
Mike

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I original thought that I would do it over a long weekend but did not allow for the unforeseen - access to inlet manifold lower bolts and the exhaust manifold to turbo nits! Now, I am taking it easy, bit-by-bit whenever I get some time. Yes...the first 2 days really took the toll on my back and legs! Intend to lift the head tomorrow and replace the chains, etc. and hopefully have the head back on by the end of the day...remainms to be seen! Overall cost in spares (Genuine Saab - but not from SAAB!) is approx £550 inclusive of the 2 plastic pulleys and compressor and a new Bosch regulator for the alternator.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
ksowden1,
No not yet,my oppo reckons if he can get the blood off the tools after fitting a new chain on our 9000s,he may be prepared to give me a hand with mine,it will have to be a big hand and there are two jobs in front of that one,recon turbo ,then have that whine removed from the cogbox
Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
So how's it coming along Mutungi?? I've heard that when putting the cover back on the head it is fairly easy to rip the head-gasket,someone had mentioned freezing the cover,then putting it back on.Whats supposed to be happening is the cover shrinks in the cold just enuf to slip in w/o damaging anything,then once its in wait a lil' bit for it too ummmmm,thaw out,put ur bolts in and torque away. I'm gonna go hunt that posting down and link u too it,it may make ur life a lil' bit easier.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the saga continues....on removing the timing cover, discovered that the exhaust balance shaft sprocket gear had worn down to the ring! Had to take shafts out of block to replace the sprockets...that done, was waiting for new metal pipe from Saab which links turbo and oil filter housing...had corroded to wafer thin! Am waiting for new water pump but meanwhile will assemble all the timing/balance components and get the timing cover back on BEFORE putting back the head, thus avoiding any undue damage to the new gasket. Will keep the post updated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts